Need some fabulous tips on planning a fall wedding on a budget?
We’ve got you covered!
From finding the perfect venue to choosing the most gorgeous flowers and decorations, you can plan the ultimate autumn wedding without breaking the bank!
Read on to find out how!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
Fall Wedding Ideas on a Budget
From venues to decorations to fun rustic favor ideas, I’ve covered pretty much every aspect of your big day below. Let’s start with the most important part: finding a venue!
Wedding location tips for fall wedding
While many people say that you should plan a wedding around the dress, I say the venue sets the tone! Having a fall wedding provides you with the opportunity to have an indoor or outdoor wedding.
1. Non-Secular Fall Wedding Venues
If you’re planning an outdoor wedding ceremony, nature will take care of most of the decorations for you!
You can also do a combination of an indoor/outdoor wedding at one of these great locations:
- Historic inns
- Castles (if you’re lucky enough to live near one!)
- Barns (yes, even a barn can be transformed into an elegant wedding venue)
The options are really endless. Even just a field with a forest as the backdrop would be perfect. Just think about how beautiful your pictures will look with the greenery of the field and the fiery colors of the changing leaves behind you. Perfection!
2. Church Wedding Venues
Prefer to have the ceremony at a church? While some do require you to be part of their congregation, don’t feel like this option is out for you if you’re not a member of any specific church. There are some that welcome everyone.
A friend of mine got married in some sort of universal church (I can’t recall the name) and it was a very nice ceremony, although I think the minister was a little heavy-handed with the carpentry metaphors! I kid you not, I could have gone home and built a house after his sermon!
While some churches are still behind in recognizing same-sex marriage, there are a few that have changed the definition of marriage to allow for any two committed people to be wed in their congregations. These include:
- The Presbyterian Church
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
- Episcopal Church
- United Church of Christ
Once you decide where to have the wedding, you’ll want to give it a bit of a makeover! Read on for some of the best fall wedding decorations on a budget.
One little recommendation, though- check with the venue to see what’s allowed. Some sites, especially nature preserves and historical sites- have very strict rules about decorations.
Related: 6 Stunning Suit and Tie Combos for a Fall Wedding
Fall Wedding Decorations on a Budget
Even if you are on a budget, you can still have some beautiful decorations for your fall wedding. As I mentioned above, if you are planning an outdoor wedding, nature will take care of most of the decorating for you!
Still, you’ll want to add a few extra special touches to really make it your own. Start by choosing your color scheme, then go from there.
1. Choosing your color palette
When choosing the palette for your rustic wedding decorations, the rich fall colors are perfect.
- Your wedding palette can include metallic colors like pewter, copper, gold and bronze.
- Other color choices include orange, yellow, gold, burgundy and brown.
- You can also opt for unique colors like sage green or deep purple.
- If you’re having an outdoor wedding in a garden, get inspired by the wildflowers and other blooms that are in season at your venue.
2. Harvest Decorations
Harvest items are common at fall weddings. Why not take advantage of the season’s bounty and decorate with accents such as apples, gourds and pumpkins. You can choose one of them as a highlight or a combination of all three of them.
You can even turn your decor into wedding favors! Towards the end of the reception, bring out some bags and let your guests take apples, pumpkins, and so on as they leave! Set them out in crates for an even more rustic vibe.
Other decoration ideas for a harvest theme- especially if it’s a barn wedding- include ripe grains, bales of hay and nuts.
3. Branches & Leaves
Fallen branches and leaves make gorgeous (and free!) fall wedding decorations. Just remember to pluck them from the ground and not tear them off living trees.
Here’s an easy yet elegant idea: Place some beautiful fallen branches into simple glass vases from the dollar store, then add some extra special touches like flowers, string lights or little crystals that catch the light.
Leaves and fall weddings go hand in hand like pumpkin and pie. Consider sprinkling some around the table centerpieces or making a table runner with them. Even better, use them to decorate your wedding aisle!
If you’re having a backyard wedding, even a tree stump can become the perfect setting for your decor. Use it as a focal point by adding some candle holders filled with flameless candles (they’re safer when trees are involved, especially dry fall trees).
There is nothing more romantic than dining by candlelight. You can incorporate the fall season and romance into your wedding by adding Mason jar candles to your tables or adding rustic lanterns.
5. Other autumn wedding décor ideas
Now that we’ve taken care of the big stuff, let’s talk about some other small touches to incorporate into your decor.
Some other great ideas for your fall wedding décor include the use of fruits and vegetables that are in season.
- You can use sliced apples in a bowl of water, much like floating candles.
- If you are having the wedding at a barn or outdoors under a tree, try some corn husks for decorations.
- Use mini-pumpkins and gourds for table decorations or decorate the tables with cinnamon scented and vanilla scented candles.
Painted pumpkins that feature a wedding motif are a fun and seasonal way to decorate your reception area. Some neat DIY ideas are to paint the entire pumpkin white and then draw you and your partner’s silhouettes (or just your initials if you’re not artistic) in black or vice versa.
Never underestimate the impact of a gorgeous
Check out the video below for more ideas:
Autumn wedding favors that double as decor
Using decorations that double as wedding favors (or vice versa) is another great way to save money on your fall wedding. When it comes to getting cute favors for fall wedding decorations for sale, there are several reputable online places that you can choose from, but we love My Wedding Favors!
My Wedding Favors has been featured in Brides Magazine as well as Modern Bride Magazine. They have many fall wedding favors that will bring the season’s warmth to your wedding reception. Check out a few of my favorites!
How cute are these cheese boards? If your budget is tight, just get one for each table along with a selection of really good cheese and crackers so guests can snack while waiting for their dinner. Got a bit more wiggle room in your budget? Get one for each guest so they can take them home as wedding favors!
At first glance, these buckets don’t exactly scream “fall wedding decorations.” Bear with me for a moment, though! At just over $1 a piece (less when you buy in higher volume), these are the perfect starting point for a really cute centerpiece. Wrap some fall ribbon around them or use stencils and markers to decorate them with your wedding colors.
Fill them up with leaves, flowers, or even some nuts for snacking. Voila! Super cheap, cute, and practical wedding decor!
These Vintage Love Mini Linen Drawstring Pouches are perfect little favor bags. Add some candy or other small favors into each one, then set them out at each table.
You can also fill a rustic basket with them and leave them at the entrance of your reception area so guests can take one as they come or go.
Another classy way to add a special touch to your wedding is by having this beautiful guest book! Perfect to keep safe your memories.
- Wedding Guestbook Hand Made in USA from USA Sustainable Wood. Wooden Wedding Guest Book with Rustic Baltic Birch Wood Stained into Gorgeous finishes and personalized with Couples Names, Last Name and a Wedding Date. Perfect Rustic Wedding Guestbook for those who look for unique bridal gift idea. Classy, Elegant Personalized. Wedding guests can just sign the guest book pages or add and free form their advice for the newlyweds. If you plan photo booth guest book theme - choose black pages.
- Medium Size 8.5" x 7" or Large 11" x 8.5" Wooden Guestbook for Wedding held together with 1" Diameter Black Spiral Binding, 80 Inside pages - paper available is either 20 Lb white writing paper or heavier 24 Lb Ivory paper ( 40 sheets ) Blank, or Just Lined with no Header or Lined and pre-printed on both sides Perfect Guest Registry / Wish cards / Instant Photo Booth Guestbook. Each page can easily accommodate 4 or more guest entries.
- 24 Lb IVORY Paper in the in either blank or lined pages. Also Available with all black pages so it can be used as a photo memory wedding guest book. Perfect idea for rustic keepsake wedding gift, or a bridal wedding shower present the bride and groom, hottest wedding trend, rustic wooden look in mahogany, burnt cocoa, black or carmel oak stain ads elegant touch to any wedding ceremony. Wedding party scrap book or bridal shower gift idea.
- Free Personalization: Couples First Names, Last Name and the Date they are getting married. To Personalize: click the CUSTOMIZE NOW yellow button top right corner to enter in your information. Add to cart button will be in the pop up window. If you are looking for a wedding present idea for newly engaged couple, this might just be the perfect gift for the bridal or engagement party. Rustic yet designer look wedding guestbook. guest register to keepsake the memories for future Mr. and Mrs,
As simple as they are, these wooden guest cards are my favorite wedding decorations of the bunch. Place them in a rustic bucket, along with some fall-colored Sharpie markers, and add a sign asking guests to share a thought or wish with you!
Other favor ideas include:
- Chocolate bars with personalized wrappers
- Bottles of fresh apple cider
- Pumpkin scented candles
- Leaf-shaped soaps.
Fall Wedding Flowers on a Budget
Flowers can add so much beauty to your wedding day but they can also add a great deal to the budget as well. There are so many different uses for flowers in your wedding like the bridal bouquet, altar arrangements, pew decorations and reception décor, to name a few. However, you can still have gorgeous flowers for your wedding without all the expense
Related: Zoo Wedding Flower
Here are some great wedding flowers that you can choose on a budget.
These flowers are often called mums for short and the word means golden flower. They make a great fall flower because they come in an array of colors such as pink, white, orange, red and yellow.
2. Mini Calla Lily
These flowers come in an array of colors as opposed to the standard calla flower that is only available in white. They work well with all your wedding flower needs from vases to boutonnieres and you may want to consider choosing dark colors like orange and crimson.
Marigolds actually bloom in the summer months but they do last throughout the fall months, dying off only when the first winter frost appears. These flowers come in stunning fall colors like red, orange and yellow.
These flowers bloom in September and come in an array of colors, although the most popular colors for fall weddings include brown, red, yellow and orange.
5. Gerber Daises
These beautiful flowers bloom during the summer months but will last well into the fall months. Because of their size, they can be used as either a single stem flower or in a bouquet.
These flowers have pretty thick stems and their blossoms are large in size so they can also be used as a single stem or a small bouquet. During the fall season, you can find these flowers in brown and yellow colors.
These are just a few of our favorite tips on how to have a gorgeous fall wedding on a budget! With a little creativity, you can have the wedding of your dreams without going bankrupt!
Do you have any favorite fall wedding ideas? Share below!