So, it’s getting closer to the big day and you suddenly realize you have no
To Arch or Not to Arch: Do You Really NEED One?
Let’s get the main question out of the way first, shall we? Despite what Pinterest and Instagram would have you believe, no, you do not NEED a
So, if you want to go the “no
View this post on Instagram
It was a stunning day for a beautiful little beach ceremony today ☀️🏝😍 #azureweddingsandeventswhitsundays #whitsundayweddings #beachwedding #ceremonyarch #weddingdecor #weddingstyling #ceremonydecor #ceremonystyling #weddingarch #ceremonybackdrop #airliebeachwedding #destinationwedding #destinationwhitsundays #elopement #microwedding #intimatewedding #pictureperfect #eventstylist #weddingstylist #dreamteam #teamworkmakesthedreamwork #whitsundayweddingstylist #whitsundayeventstylist #airliebeachweddingstylist #love #whitewedding #marryinparadise
Arches- especially the ethereal portable arches with flowing fabric- are super popular for beach weddings. I must admit, they frame the ocean beautifully and just sort of pull the whole wedding look together, as you can see above.
However, they’re not essential by a long shot. If you want a free alternative, try drawing a heart in the sand! You can also use candles or seashells to create one.
View this post on Instagram
I love how they play with color to indicate where the borders are, such a good idea 💡💜🌱 . . 🌷 Follow @glamorousgardens 🌷 Follow @glamorousgardens 🌷 Follow @glamorousgardens . . Credit @jezstampgardendesign . . #gardendesign #garden_styles #englishgardens #gardenplanning #flowerstagram #floral #climbingplants #cottagegarden #cottagestyle #topiarygarden #knotgarden #formalgarden #elegantgarden #gardening #gardenofthegods #gardenwedding #gardening4pleasure #gardenmirror #gardeningwithlove #gardenmaintenance #patiogarden #backyardgarden #gardening #gardentips #gardensesign #gardenlove #guyswhogarden #glamorousgardens
Like beaches, arches create a beautiful focal point for an outdoor wedding. However, there are SO many other alternatives! I love the example above, how they used the colorful flowers to create a a border. Just look around your venue (or your garden or yard) and I bet you’ll find something perfect. The best part? It’s totally free!
Whether you’re hosting your ceremony at a church or in a ballroom, when it comes to indoor weddings you can absolutely get away with no arch. In fact, most of these places either provide one for you or have a built-in “focal point” ready and waiting.
View this post on Instagram
Wedding Rome workshop avec @davidburlentbag model @guzga_andreea_alexandra #destinationwedding #romewedding #weddingphotographerrome #colisee #photographemariage #frenchweddingphotographer #igroma #bellaroma #weddingdress #bride #bridebook #theweddinglegends #luxuryweddings #dreamwedding #loveandwildhearts
If there’s one situation where I’d say definitely skip the arch, it’s destination weddings. Why go through the extra hassle of finding an arch for rent, along with someone to set it up? Instead, just use your destination itself as your backdrop. An amazing building, a gorgeous bridge, a natural arch- anything goes. If you’re planning to wed in Rome, for example, the Coliseum makes an extraordinary “frame” for your ceremony!
Okay, we’ve seen that it’s totally possible to get by with no
Full disclosure: We do use affiliate links in this article, so we earn a small commission when you buy something using one of our links. This comes at no extra cost to you.
Alternatives to the “traditional”
Let’s be honest, arches can be pretty darn pricey. In fact, one Redditor felt that they’re so “stupid expensive, he made one himself! While that’s definitely a viable option- which we’ll discuss later on below- it’s far from the only route when it comes to arch alternatives.
The Wedding Wire forum featured one bride who was searching for either an inexpensive arch or a cheap alternative, which would look just as good. She said,
1. A Photo Backdrop
One user suggested that a photo backdrop and some ribbon was the perfect option for her – and worked just as well. Nowadays, everyone with a good camera phone fancies themselves a “professional” photographer, and retailers are catering to them big time. Where you’d once have to go to a specialty photography store to get backdrops, now you can just pop on Amazon and pick up a dozen for a bargain.
If you want a cheap backdrop, this rustic style one would look great at a forest or vintage style wedding. This is a great option, especially if you’re leaning towards not having an arch at all. If that’s not your thing, though, you can find countless options on both Amazon and Etsy.
- 【Size&Color】: 7x5ft/(82in x 60in), High-resolution digital print with eye-catching details and lifelike colors.No reflective or faded.
- 【Material】: Econ Vinyl Backdrop-Durable, Tearproof, Seamless,Easy-carrying, Light weight, Collapsible, Not waterproof.
- 【Features】: ☆Custom Service: Contact us before payment. Send the custom information by Amazon Message (Size, Words, Color or any parts to change).
- 【Warm tips】: 1.Not waterproof. Don't touch it with water. 2.Only Backdrop included,no stand; Item will be sent by folded. 3.Use Clamp,Nails or Tape on the wall. 4.Here are ways to reduce wrinkles: If necessary, please iron the back side (not the image side) with low temperature to easily reduce the wrinkle. To avoid possible steam damage, place a layer of dry cloth between the backdrop and the iron.
- 【Wide Application】: This rustic glitter wood photography background can be used as Party supplies(baby shower, bridal shower, wedding, birthday, holiday, baptism, graduation, retirement, etc). Other usage(wallpaper, curtain, tapestry, tablecloth, home decor, etc). Professional photography(recommend to buy econ polyester or pro polyester material).
2. Floral arches
Another option is to have a floral arch or floral posts – these are breathtaking and differ slightly to your traditional arch. You can order these from your local florist.
Or, save money and make it yourself! I highly recommend checking out FiftyFlowers. They have extraordinary DIY kits loaded with gorgeous real blooms.
The pack features a variety of delicate, soft-textured focal flowers, including petal-heavy ranunculus, frilly scabiosas, and bold anemones. You may pick the colors for each of the flowers as well, which makes it easy to create an entirely unique garden-inspired look. Use this pack alone for a simpler look, or add in choice colors of hydrangeas and silver dollar eucalyptus greenery.
3. Surfboard arch
If there’s a certain aesthetic/theme to your wedding which you think would look great, go for that. How great do these surfboards look in place of an arch? They’re a lot more personal and unique – we love these.
4. Fabric arch
While we usually thing about fabric as something that goes on the arch, you can also just use it to mimic an arch itself on its own! You’ll need something to secure it to, obviously. If you’re outdoors, try using tree branches as supports.
- Set of 3: 1x Corner flower: approx. 3ft long 8" wide; 1x Tieback: approx. 25" long; 1x Semi-sheer swag: approx. 21ft long x 2.5ft wide.
- Design: PRE-MADE, Handmade item, Flower swag made from artificial roses, dahlias, peonies, avalanche rose,flowers and assorted greenery.
- READY TO USE, Designed on a flexible base (allowing for a straight, curved for your circle arch or angled for your hexagon arch display), and can be used easily hung onto anything really.
- Best alternative to expensive fresh flowers and greeneries, they will stay and look beautiful all day, not wilting and turning brown
- Note: The flowers might bend a bit due to shipping and packing, please softly knead the petals to help recover the shape.
Obviously, there is the option of making a
If you want flower arrangements like this, you can find them on Etsy – faux/paper flowers are the best as they are easier to work with, and do not die/fall apart. This means you can have your
We love these faux flowers, as they would look absolutely amazing next to rustic wood/sticks, like in the picture above.
- 1. This artificial Roses flower is made of high quality soft latex foam.Eco-friendly PE material,realistic fake flowers looks like fresh rose.
- 2. SIZE: total height 23cm/9inch,Each rose head diameter 8cm/3.1inch. Stem height 18cm/7.1inch,It's proper artificial flowers for DIY decoration.
- 3. The stem is thin wire stem,It’s easily bent or cut down as you need. They are perfect for making bouquets,centerpieces,kissing balls,boutonnieres,cake flowers or any other flower decorations/arrangements that you want at your wedding, party, baby shower or home.
- 4. The artificial flower is perfect for wedding, party,home decoration,office decor,cafe decoration,etc.You can also use these artificial flowers to make bridal bouquets,boutonnieres,wedding centerpieces and more.
- 5. Packing:Pack of 60pcs individual artificial flowers bulk (Not a bunch of artificial flower).
Remember, it’s your wedding, so anything goes as long as it makes you happy! Whether that’s no
What was your favorite idea? Would you opt for no
wedding arch, or do you feel like it’s a necessity? Share below!
Last update on 2020-10-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API