The last dance of the wedding is one of the most important because it perfectly captures the spirit of the wedding and the personalities of the bride and groom. The last dance song can be fast and upbeat or slow and heartfelt. All that matters is that it honors and accurately represents the bride and groom’s commitment to one another.
With millions of songs out there, trying to find the perfect song for your last dance can feel like a daunting task. And since very few of us are songwriters, we have to do our research to find the perfect last dance wedding songs to end the night.
Whether you’re looking for a slow, longing ballad or a classic that will get everyone back on the dance floor, we’ve got a list of the absolute best songs to play as the last dance at your wedding.
The choice of the last dance song holds immense significance as it sets the tone for the end of the wedding celebration. It’s an opportunity for the couple to express their love and appreciation while creating a memorable moment for all the guests. Whether you opt for a timeless classic or a modern hit, the key is to select a song that resonates with your journey as a couple and encapsulates the joyous atmosphere of the day.
With careful consideration, you can find the perfect last dance wedding song that reflects your unique relationship. It’s worth exploring different genres and eras to discover a melody that brings out the emotions you want to convey. Remember, the last dance is a chance to leave a lasting impression, so choose a song that will leave everyone on the dance floor with a smile and memories to cherish.
Don’t miss out on these other top picks for the ultimate wedding day play list:
- Wedding Dance Songs from the 2000s
- Black Wedding Songs to Set the Mood on Your Special Day
- Pop Punk Wedding Songs You Need To Play
Last Dance Wedding Songs to Get Everyone Dancing
We get it. Some people want the last dance at their wedding to be a fun, upbeat one that gets everyone back out on the dance floor for one last romp. If that’s the kind of last dance you’ve always dreamed of, here are some of the best options for you.
- “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond — This certified classic is sure to get everyone back on the dance floor and belting it out with all their might.
- “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey — Another classic everyone knows, this song is the perfect choice to get everyone back on the dance floor one last time.
- “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker — This twangy tune is a modern country classic and a great choice for ending things on a high note.
- “Happy” by Pharrell Williams — This euphoric, upbeat song is perfect for expressing the elation of the bride and groom.
- “Love On Top” by Beyoncé — This upbeat pop classic is sure to get everyone back out on the dance floor for the last dance.
- “Shut Up and Dance” by WALK THE MOON — A song about fate bringing two people together for a perfect dance. No song could be more perfect for the last dance.
- “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole — A song about everlasting love, this one is perfect to blast during the last dance.
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” by Whitney Houston — A classic for a reason, this mega-watt pop song is a great choice to get everyone jumping for the last dance.
- “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” by Justin Timberlake — One of the newer songs on this list, this modern pop classic has just enough neo-disco to work as a great last dance song.
- “We are Young” by fun. feat. Janelle Monáe — This anthemic tune is on the slower side but is still sure to bring out everyone’s inner adolescent for at least a few moments.
- “Livin’ On A Prayer” by Bon Jovi — This universally-recognizable rock tune will have everyone clamoring to get back on the dance floor.
- “XO” by Beyoncé — This soft, euphoric song is a slow-burner, but it has an undeniable allure and will work great as a last dance song.
- “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King — The song is the absolute definition of a classic and what works better as a last dance song than a song about standing by one another?
- “Come On Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners — Everyone will go crazy for this quintessential 80s tune during your last dance.
- “(I’ve Had) the Time of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes — This iconic duet is sure to have its fair share of “Dirty Dancing” lifts, and that alone is worth featuring it as your last dance song.
- “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol — This iconic song was a part of everyone’s indie emo phase and is a perfectly dramatic and moody choice for the last dance song.
- “For Once in My Life” by Stevie Wonder — This sweet, happy song is a wedding favorite and is sure to be the perfect choice for your last dance.
- “You Make Loving Fun” by Fleetwood Mac — This euphoric classic from the late 70s has the perfect amount of groove and would make a great last dance song.
- “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction — This song is perfect for younger brides and grooms who grew up listening to this song on repeat. And don’t let them fool you, most of them did.
- “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire — A perfect last dance song during any season, this song is especially perfect for featuring at a September wedding.
- “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley — Rickroll everyone at your wedding by making this iconic 80s classic your last dance song.
- “Rude” by MAGIC! — This beachy pop song was a smash hit when it came out, and it’s perfect for your last dance, especially the line that says, “I’m gonna marry her anyway.”
- “Summer” by Calvin Harris — This upbeat pop song would make the perfect last dance song for any summer wedding.
- “Shut Up and Drive” by Rihanna — This song is a pure banger and is sure to get everyone back out on the dance floor with its infectious energy.
- “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” by James Taylor — This song is a classic for a reason and this version could not be more perfect for a wedding.
- “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” by Stevie Wonder — A song about committing yourself entirely to another person. This one is last dance perfection.
- “Kiss on My List” by Daryl Hall & John Oates — Another groovy and mega-popular 80s song, this classic is perfect for ending the wedding reception on a high note.
- “Can’t Fight This Feeling” by REO Speedwagon — If you want a last dance song that’s going to have everyone belting it out on the dance floor, this one is a perfect choice.
- “Crazy in Love” by Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z — People will leap back onto the dance floor when they hear the opening of this iconic tune.
- “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen — Slow, fast, pensive and break-neck, this iconic Queen song is a great way to say farewell to your wedding guests.
- “One More Time” by Daft Punk — This song by the iconic techno duo is sure to get everyone back on the dance floor for one last song.
- “American Pie” by Don McLean — Clocking in at almost 9 minutes, this song is simply the definition of iconic and a great way to end the wedding reception.
- “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac — Yet another groovy song from an iconic group, this galloping track makes for a perfectly upbeat last dance song.
- “Shivers” by Ed Sheeran — With typically explosive production and catchy hooks, this song is a perfect choice.
- “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars — This song is one of the funkiest, grooviest tunes of all time, making it the perfect note to end the night on.
Slow and Heartfelt Last Dance Songs
While some people opt for more upbeat songs to end the night, it’s not uncommon for some brides and grooms to choose a slower, more subtle song for the last dance. If you want to end the night with a more intimate love song, here’s a list of suggestions to get you started.
- “Marry Me” by Train — This sweet, delightful ballad is a great way to end the night on a high note and celebrate your newfound love.
- “The Way You Look Tonight” by Tony Bennett — An irresistible rendition of a classic jazz standard, this song will bring some tears to a few eyes during the last dance of the night.
- “Say You Won’t Let Go” by James Arthur — A modern pop song about committing yourself entirely to another person, this song is a great last dance option.
- “She’s Everything” by Brad Paisley — This sweet tune is a heartfelt country song about someone being your everything, perfectly matching the sentiments of your wedding.
- “All of Me” by John Legend — This song has been a wedding favorite ever since it came out, for a good reason. Consider having your last dance to this beautiful ballad.
- “Speechless” by Dan + Shay — A song about true love taking your breath away, this country tune is yet another great choice.
- “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri — This song about love lasting for over 1,000 years is such a sweet tribute to endless love. Plus, it’s perfect for that last slow dance.
- “You Make Me Feel So Young” by Michael Bublé — One of the more upbeat songs, this jazz standard has just the right amount of sincerity and pep to make a great last dance.
- “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer — One of the most popular folk-pop songs of its time, this one is sure to bring back some fond memories.
- “At Last” by Etta James — This song about finally finding someone to spend the rest of your days with is a certified classic for a reason.
- “From the Ground Up” by Dan + Shay — This song about building your life together is perfect for ending the night on a high note.
- “Make You Feel My Love” by Adele — This heartfelt ballad about having a strong, effusive love for one another makes for the perfect last dance.
- “Wanted” by Hunter Hayes — Another fan-favorite country song, this sincere tune about giving yourself to another person is sure to create some last dance magic.
- “Put You Head On My Shoulder” by Paul Anka — This song about intimacy and love is a classic for a reason, making it a perfect choice for the last dance.
- “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong — It may be a cliche, but love really does make you see the good in the world. Honor that by having your last dance to this iconic tune.
- “I Get to Love You” by Ruelle — This sweet song about the privilege of having true love in your life could not be more perfect for your last dance.
- “Butterflies” by Kacey Musgraves — A song about having a love that still gives you butterflies, this song is a perfect choice for your last dance.
- “Lover” by Taylor Swift — A modern wedding classic in its own right, this song about being one another’s lover is sure to make for some last dance magic.
- “It Had to Be You” by Frank Sinatra — Yet another jazz standard about love and fate, this one is sure to tell your husband or wife that no one else is more perfect for you than them.
- “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton — This song about the perfection of one night is a great way to end your wedding reception.
What is the order of dances at a wedding?
Weddings typically have specific times for the bride and groom to have special dances with their loved ones and each other. If you’re wondering what the traditional dance order is, it’s as follows:
- The bride and groom have their first dance.
- The father and the bride have their special dance.
- The groom (sometimes) dances with the mother of the bride.
- The bride’s parents share a dance.
- The groom shares a dance with his mother.
- The groom’s parents share a dance.
- The dance floor opens to the wedding party.
- The dance floor is open to everyone.
- The last dance closes out the night!
Best Upbeat Jams for the Last Dance
For the ultimate celebration on your special day, you best not miss these other top wedding songs posts:
- Mother-Daughter Songs For Wedding
- R&B Wedding Songs Of The Century
- The Most Captivating 90s Wedding Songs Of All Time
Here are some nice tunes to get everyone on the dance floor.
1. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston
Memorable Lyrics: “Oh, I wanna dance with somebody/ I wanna feel the heat with somebody/ Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody/ With somebody who loves me”
Joyful, Love-filled song for the newlyweds to take the center stage together
2. “Last Dance” by Donna Summer
Memorable Lyrics: “I need you by me/ Beside me to guide me/ To hold me, to scold me”
As the name pimples, the perfect tune for the final moves
3. “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk The Moon
Memorable Lyrics: “Oh don’t you dare look back/ Just keep your eyes on me/ I said you’re holding back/ She said shut up and dance with me”
Of course, this is not a time for too many words; just make some moves
4. “Closing Time” by Semisonic
Memorable Lyrics: “Closing time, every new beginning/ Comes from some other beginning’s end, yeah”
The name says it all; it’s closing time, and will be just the couple after now.
5. “I’ve had The Time Of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
Memorable Lyrics: “Now I’ve finally found someone to stand by me/ We saw the writing on the wall/ As we felt this magical fantasy”
It was a good time, down to this last dance, from the ceremony to the reception. So this is a perfect song for the moment.
6. “Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake
Memorable Lyrics: “I can’t take my eyes up off it, moving so phenomenally/ Room on lock, the way we rock it, so don’t stop”
This feel-good song will get the guest in the mood to dance.
7. “Shout” by The Isley Brothers
Memorable Lyrics: You know you make me wanna (Shout)/ Kick my heels up and (Shout)/ Throw my hands up and (Shout)/ Throw my head back and (Shout)
A perfect song that brings everyone on the dance floor for the last dance of the wedding.
8. “We Go Together” From the hit movie Grease
Memorable Lyrics: “Up in the skies above/ Or at the high school dance/ Where you can find romance/ Maybe it might be love”
A song that symbolizes “happily ever after” for the couple.
9. “Shivers” by Ed Sheeran
Memorable Lyrics: Fill up the engine, we can drive real far/ Go dancin’ underneath the stars/ Ooh yeah, I want it all
A mixture of romance and party-feeling music that encourages the couple to share a heartfelt moment on the dance floor
10. “Love On Top” by Beyoncé
Memorable Lyrics: “Baby, it’s you, You’re the one I love/You’re the one I need/You’re the only one I see”
Anything from Beyoncé is always something to get everyone moving.
11. “Hold On” by Wilson Phillips
Memorable Lyrics: Won’t you tell me now/ Hold On for one more day, ‘cause/It’s gonna go your way.
A tune that encourages the couple never to let go of their beautiful love while they move according to the beat.
12. “Dancing Queen” by ABBA
Memorable Lyrics: Feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah/ You can dance, you can jive/ Having the time of your life
The can be the dancing queen while the groom becomes her dance king as they move to this beautiful piece by ABBA.
13. “Don’t Stop Believin” by Journey
Memorable Lyrics: “Some’ll win, some will lose/ Some are born to sing the blues/ Whoa, the movie never ends”
Don’t stop believing, and don’t stop dancing to this beautiful tune.
14. “Young Forever” by Jay-Z feat. Mr. Hudson
Memorable Lyrics: “So we live a life like a video when the sun is always out, and you never get old/ And the champagne’s always cold/ And the music is always good”
This is an ode to youth and a timeless love story.
15. “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole
Memorable Lyrics: “You’ve given me the thrill of a lifetime/ And made me believe you’ve got more thrills to spare”
Celebrate endless love with this beautiful song for the last dance.
16. “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin” by Michael Jackson
Memorable Lyrics: “I said you wanna be startin’ somethin’ (hee!)/ You got to be startin’ something”
With this tune, You should be starting some moves on the dance floor.
17. “Evacuate The Dance Floor” by Cascada
Memorable Lyrics: “Turn up the music let’s get out on the floor/ I like to move it come and give me some more/ Watch me getting physical, out of control”
This song is simply telling everyone to make the best use of this final moment on the dance floor.
18. “Forever” by Chris Brown
Memorable Lyrics: It’s you and me/Movin’ at the speed of light into eternity, yeah/Tonight is the night”
The award-winning R&B singer Chris Brown made this for a love that will last for eternity. So you should have it on your playlist.
19. “One More Time” by Daft Punk
Memorable Lyrics: “One more time, we’re gonna celebrate/ Oh yeah, alright, don’t stop the dancing”
Take center stage one more time with this tune.
20. “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars
Memorable Lyrics: I’m too hot (hot damn)/ Call the police and the fireman
A lively song that keeps the energy high on the dance floor.
21. “Feels So Close” by Calvin Harris
Memorable Lyrics: “Surround me like a waterfall/ And there’s no stopping us right now/ I feel so close to you right now”
This song speaks about the last moment and the happiness of loved ones around on the dance floor.
22. “We Are Family” by Sister Sledge
Memorable Lyrics: “We are family, I got all my sisters with me/ We are family, get up everybody and sing”
If you have seen the TV show “All American,“ you will definitely want this song on your last dance playlist.
23. “I’ll Be There For You” by The Rembrandts
Memorable “Lyrics: I’ll be there for you when the rain starts to pour/I’ll be there for you Like I’ve been there before”
Making a promise of commitment while moving on the dance floor won’t be a bad idea.
24. “You Can’t Stop The Beat” by Hairspray Cast
Memorable Lyrics: “You can try to stop the paradise we’re dreamin’ of/ But you cannot stop the rhythm of two hearts in love to stay/’Cause you can’t stop the beat!”
You should have this piece if you want to get everyone fired up on the dance floor.
25. “Y.M.C.A.” by Village People
Memorable Lyrics: “Young man, Young man, there’s no need to feel down/ Young man, Young man, pick yourself off the ground”
A classic song that gets everyone moving as one big, happy family.
26. “You Make My Dreams” by Hall and Oates
Memorable Lyrics: “Twist and shout my way out/ And wrap yourself around me/ ‘Cos I ain’t the way you found me”
Of course, marrying the love of your life is a dream come true. So why not have a song that reflects a dream coming through on the last dance playlist?
27. “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins
Memorable Lyrics: “You can fly if you’d only cut loose, footloose/ Kick off your Sunday shoes”
This is a song that will bring everyone to their feet.
28. “I’m Gonna Be” by The Proclaimers
Memorable Lyrics: “When I wake up, well, I know I’m gonna be/I’m gonna be the man who wakes up next to you”
This is an encouragement for the couple and a good piece for the dance floor.
29. “Like A Prayer” by Madonna
Memorable Lyrics: “When you call my name, it’s like a little prayer/I’m down on my knees, I wanna take you there”
Create a meaningful and unforgettable moment with this prayerful piece for the last moments of the wedding.
30. “Celebration” by Kool and The Gang
Memorable Lyrics: There’s a party goin’ on right here/ A celebration to last throughout the years/ So bring your good times, and your laughter too
This perfect closing song will get everyone on the dance floor in the mood for celebration.
Slow Last Dance Wedding Songs
If you love your last dance to be peaceful and to engross yourself in the moment with your partner, these songs are for you.
1. “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran
Memorable Lyrics: “So honey now/ Take me into your loving arms/ Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars/ Place your head on my beating heart”
This is a promise of forever to your better half.
2. “A Thousand Miles” by Christina Perri
Memorable Lyrics: “I have died every day waiting for you/ Darling, don’t be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years/I’ll love you for a thousand more”
Marriage is a long journey, and this song is an assurance of commitment.
3. “My Funny Valentine” by Frank Sinatra
Memorable Lyrics: “But don’t change a hair for me/ Not if you care for me/ Stay little valentine stay”
Let your partner know how much you love them with this piece.
4. “All of Me” by John Legend
Memorable Lyrics: “Cause all of me, Loves all of you/ Love your curves and all your edges/ All your perfect imperfections”
You’ve got to give everything in marriage and this is the perfect song to make that promise to each other.
5. “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton
Memorable Lyrics: “And then she asks me, Do I look alright?/ And I say, Yes, you look wonderful Tonight”
This is a song to create that romantic aura in the room.
6. “At Last” by Etta James
Memorable Lyrics: “At last, my love has come along/ My lonely days are over/ And life is like a song”
Of course the lonely days are over, so let your spouse know that in this closing moment.
7. “The Power of Love” by Celine Dion
Memorable Lyrics: “Cause I’m your lady, and you are my man/ Whenever you reach for me, I’ll do all that I can”
Celine Dion’s magic in the room for the last heartfelt moment is a must have.
8. “You’re Still the One by” Shania Twain
Memorable Lyrics: “Looks like we made it/ Look how far we’ve come, my baby/ We mighta took a long way/ We knew we’d get there someday”
We all love this song and will definitely want to do some slow dance to it on our wedding day.
9. “Blessed” by Thomas Rhett
Memorable Lyrics: “And I know I’m blessed/ Watching you spin in that dress/ Making my heart beat out my chest”
Make some slow moves to this classic tune for the final dance of the night.
10. “Endless Love” by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
Memorable Lyrics: “I want to share/ All my love with you/ No one else will do…”
Of course, it is going to be for eternity, so this song should be on your playlist.
The last dance is an important part of the wedding reception because it’s one of the main things people will remember when they leave. Plus, since it’s the last song, it sets the final tone for the sendoff.
Whether you choose a fast, upbeat song that gets everyone back on the dance floor or a slower, more subtle song, it’s important to make sure that the song encapsulates your relationship with your new husband or wife.
Picking the song for your last dance can be a daunting task. We hope that we gave you everything you need to make the right choice. Congratulations and good luck!