If you know that your friends are planning a sustainable wedding with zero-waste wedding favors, no plastic, and minimum food waste, it’s time to start looking for a zero waste wedding gift. Finding one all by yourself can be tricky; that’s why we’re here to help and offer you a range of sustainable wedding favors.
Let’s start with a quick look at our top picks, then keep reading for all the glorious details.
READ MORE: 20 Tips for a Low Waste Wedding
Zero-Waste Wedding Gift Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Wedding Painting
- Wood Bread Boards
- Zero Waste Wooden Cutlery Set
- Zero Waste Starter Kit
Check the table below for a side-by-side comparison of our favorites!
5 Amazing Zero-Waste Wedding Gift Ideas Reviews
Traditional wedding gifts are slowly going out of style. Newlywed couples still want to have a wedding photographer, wedding band, and a wedding book, but they’re also doing their best to think of the environment.
With so many weddings happening all at once, you can imagine the waste that happens. So the least a couple can do is ask for zero waste wedding gifts. If you’re on the lookout for one, here are our most favorite items:
1. Wedding Painting
Wouldn’t you want the married couple to have a stunning piece of art from their wedding day? Help them remember the wedding party, wedding dress, elegant tuxedo, with a zero-waste wedding gift. A painting from their wedding is one of the most aesthetic items that will hang in one of their rooms for many years.
If you want to give the couple a sneak peek of what you’re planning, you can ask them for their favorite photo of the wedding and let them know that the gift might arrive a little after the event.
If you don’t want to wait, you can always ask them for any favorite photo of them. It will be equally beautiful and fun. This portrait is custom and hand-drawn, and you can be sure that no one else will give them the same thing.
- Oil Paintings Size:24*36inch(60x90CM).Please confirm the size when placing the order.
- Artist’s statement:A soulful figurative art painting depicts a mysterious girl with her back towards us.100% Paintbrush/Knife hand-painted by our artists.
- Convenient:All of our paintings are gallery wrapped and stretched over a wooden framed.Ready to hang with rotatable hooks.Very easy to hang up.
READ MORE: Best Sustainable Engagement Rings
Are you ready for the most fantastic idea? These wood bread boards are not only stunning to look at but they’re also made of vintage reclaimed wood that dates back to the 1970s and 1980s. One of the best things about this board is that you can feel like an Italian while using it.
Let’s make it clear, this might be a bread board, but the couple will want to use it as a charcuterie board. All they need is their favorite wine, cheese, fruits, and crackers. And they’ll be thankful to you each time people ask them about where they got this stunning board and the story behind it.
We love gifting these boards because they serve many purposes, plus they’re one of the most unique things on the list. You’ll receive yours clean, oiled, and all you have to do is find sustainable packaging that doesn’t increase the plastic waste.
If you were planning on spending more on a gift, we recommend pairing the boards with the next item that we’ll list. So instead of finding an antique item, you stumbled upon this board.
- This acacia cutting board with Grip Handles is good for Meat and Vegetable, fruits, olives, breads, appetize and for every food prep.
- Its simple to carry the board whereas you’re putt the sliced ingredients within the cookery pot. This ensures that your counter-tops stay clean and tidy.
- Cutting boards for kitchen are made of 100% hard acacia wood which is known for being sturdy, much more durable than bamboo and healthier than plastic.
Handmade zero waste cutlery doesn’t sound bad! This set is made of reclaimed wood by Vietnamese artisans. The company supports local skilled people by giving them work. The final result is a cutlery set that contains four pieces and a travel bag.
Everything is made of upcycled ebony wood, and they opt for an organic process without any chemicals or pesticides. They even employed a seamstress from Vietnam that makes the chic portable bags. They’re hand-sewn, and you can choose from three different colors for the fabric.
In the set, you’ll find a knife, spoon, fork, bamboo straw, and a cleaning brush. They’re water-resistant, which makes them easy to use.
We love this set because it’s easy to pack and travel with, plus it significantly reduces the use of plastic. It will last a very long time, plus you’ll be supporting skilled artisans from small Vietnamese villages.
This might not be the traditional gift certificate, but it’s a great way to show you care. Don’t forget to purchase at least two, one for the bride and one for the groom.
- 🌿 PREMIUM TRAVEL UTENSILS : Jungle Culture is a socially responsible company who work alongside Vietnamese farms & artisans to create original, handcrafted natural products. Our eco-friendly travel utensils are a high quality alternative to bamboo cutlery & are the perfect companion for on-the-go meals when out and about.
- 🌿 PLASTIC FREE CUTLERY : Our zero waste reclaimed wooden cutlery sets come with a highly durable & naturally water resistant serrated knife, fork, spoon & case, as well as a reusable bamboo straw & coconut cleaning brush by Jungle Straws. This long-lasting set of dark wood sustainable utensils goes perfectly with coconut bowls and is everything you need to enjoy food without plastic, whilst helping to preserve the planet.
- 🌿 PORTABLE & STYLISH : Carry your reusable travel utensils everywhere you go whether you’re at work, on camping trips, picnics, festivals, events and more. Jungle Culture wooden cutlery sets can easily be slipped inside your backpack or bag. The natural storage pouch included is handmade by seamstresses in the ancient town of Hoi An, Vietnam, the tailoring capital of the world.
4. Zero Waste Starter Kit
Every newlywed couple needs a starter kit since they’re starting a new life. This one offers all the essentials they need, including beeswax wraps, travel utensil set, reusable produce bags, dish brush, makeup remover pads, natural loofah, soap saver, snack bags. And for most of the items, the kit contains more than one.
All the materials are eco-friendly; there is no plastic to ruin the planet. This is definitely a thoughtful gift because you’ll be preparing the couple for their life together.
These delicious candles are 100% natural, handmade, paraben, and micro-bead-free. They’re a great eco-friendly alternative for a couple you know who loves scented candles. In addition, the brand uses reclaimed coconut shells instead of using bottles and jars. That makes the final product even more unique and beautiful.
The wax they use is organic soy, and they add essential oils to achieve the scent. Each product can last around 50 hours of burning, and there are two scents to choose from toasted coconut and vanilla.
Let’s not forget to mention that the candles are vegan, don’t contain any plastic, and are ethically sourced. We love them because they’re long-lasting, come in gorgeous packaging, and will make any home smell better.
If you want to avoid giving a physical gift, there is also another way to go. Start by setting up a honeymoon fund for the newlywed couple and let everyone else know. You can also add an amount that you think it’s appropriate instead of buying wedding party gifts.
Another idea is to get them gift vouchers for experiences that you know they’ll love That way, you avoid making waste, and your favorite couple will enjoy something they’ve always wanted to do. It can be skydiving, ballroom classes, sports.
- This beautiful mix of bright citrus, sweet florals, and spicy vanilla is like an exotic island escape
- Long-lasting 110 to 150 hour burn time
- Quality paraffin grade candle wax delivers a clear, consistent burn
What to give as a wedding gift to someone who has everything?
People who have everything will really appreciate your fair trade wedding gifts and sustainable wedding gift ideas. They already have it all, so why not give them something that doesn’t pollute the environment or create additional paper waste.
How much waste does a wedding produce?
One 100-120 people wedding creates an average of 200 to 600 lbs of waste. These numbers are definitely concerning and we should do our best to reduce them. According to a study, 10% of wedding food is thrown away.
What is the best gift for a newly married couple?
If the couple loves eco-friendly gifts, you should definitely consider one from the list above. All of the options are very useful, unique, and you can be sure that no one else will give them something similar.
Look at this beautiful zero-waste wedding:
Today’s couples are becoming more eco-conscious and are planning weddings that are meant to reduce waste and pollution. Most of them set up eco-registries to list potential ethical wedding gifts and sustainable wedding gifts you can choose from. But, if the wedding you’re attending doesn’t have a registry, you can use ours.
One of our favorites on the list is the zero waste starter kit because it contains all the basics for a more sustainable life. Another favorite of ours is the wedding painting. Whichever one you choose, you won’t be wrong.
Don’t forget to focus on learning tips for a low-waste wedding; otherwise, all those zero-waste and ethical wedding gifts won’t mean a lot.
- Reum, Carter. 2012. “The Secret Waste That Weddings Leave Behind.” HuffPost. HuffPost. April 20, 2012. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-secret-waste-that-weddings-leave_b_1439118.
- Smithers, Rebecca. 2017. “For Richer, for Poorer … a Tenth of All Wedding Food Is Thrown Away.” The Guardian. The Guardian. July 28, 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/28/tenth-of-wedding-food-thrown-away.
What are your favorite zero waste wedding gift ideas? Share below!
Andreea is a very passionate content creator and her purpose is to provide you with the most interesting articles, while constantly discovering new facts. She’s been freelance writing for the past five years and has created numerous articles and educational materials while managing her own blog.