Millions of people flock to beaches worldwide yearly for fun, entertainment and even a romantic getaway here and there. A beach date is a great way to bring you and your partner even closer.
With the sand, surf and sunsets, it’s not hard to see why so many people love it! But while most people think of the beach as simply a place to relax (and let’s be honest: it’s one big relaxing station), tons of activities can help your date go from an average day on the sand into an exciting adventure.
Romantic and Exciting Beach Date Ideas
There are tons of beach-friendly activities that you may have yet to try. Here is a short list of more adventurous activities you could try on a date.
- Try surfing. Surfing is an excellent activity for couples to try together because it allows you to be playful and adventurous while also allowing you to talk about your shared experiences.
- Try scuba diving. Scuba diving is another fun activity that provides plenty of opportunities for conversation and adventures!
- Kiteboarding! Kiteboarding can feel like flying when you’re on top of the water with your partner by your side, but don’t worry — you won’t lose control if something goes wrong because there are instructors nearby ready to help if anything happens during this exciting date.
- Parasailing! Parasailing is another exciting way for couples to have fun together while enjoying nature at its finest from new heights!
Read on for ideas about what to do and where you should go — whether you want something fun that won’t take up too much time or something more serious like learning how to scuba dive together!
1. Exploring Tidal Pools and Snorkeling
Tidal pools are small pockets of the ocean floor preserved by rising and falling tides, making them a great place to find an array of marine life. You can also explore tide pools at low tide if you want to snorkel or swim in warm water. You never know what you will find in these pools with your significant other — talk about a bonding experience!
Snorkel or dive deeper into the ocean if it’s warm enough. Snorkeling with your partner is fun because there are so many different kinds of fish swimming around you! If you have a waterproof camera, like a GoPro, try bringing it along to capture sweet moments of your partner discovering life under the sea — cue the Little Mermaid.
2. Hop on Paddle Boards or Kayaks
Renting a paddleboard or kayak is a great way to explore the ocean or lake away from the beach. You can rent them for an hour, a day or even longer. All you need is your bathing suit and sunscreen and off you go!
If you’re not sure if it’s for you — no problem! You can try it out first before buying one (and yes, there are plenty of places that sell pre-owned paddleboards). Paddleboarding is also a great way to get active and enjoy nature simultaneously. It’s easy on your joints but still gives you a good workout while letting you relax on the water with your date.
3. Explore Seaside Caves Together
If you’ve ever been to the beach, you probably know about the caves found by the shore in some country areas. They make for an exciting adventure for those who dare go inside. The best part is that they are usually accessible from the beach; no hiking trails are needed here! Follow trails or signs until you find one promising enough to explore. If this sounds like something you and your partner would like to do together, then consider yourselves lucky because it is a great way to spend some time outside with each other!
4. Get a Couples Massage at a Hotel on the Beach
If you and your partner are more into relaxing at the beach and less into exploring, you could hit up a hotel along the shoreline and see if they offer spa services near the water. Some hotels even provide private massages right on the beach!
Afterward, take advantage of all of the other amenities available at your chosen resort — like swimming pools, hot tubs and saunas — before going back into town for dinner and drinks together later in the evening.
5. Talk About Your Goals and Dreams
This is a great way to get to know each other and have something to talk about. If you’re still getting acquainted, it can be an easy ice-breaker question that allows you to share some of the important things in your life.
- Your goals and dreams: What do you want to achieve? What do you want to change?
- What would be your ideal life in 10 years? How does this relate to what you want now?
- Where would you like your relationship with this person to go over time?
This helps you to connect with your date on a deeper level in a beautiful setting.
6. Pick up Driftwood and Make a Bonfire
Gathering driftwood is one of the most fun beach date ideas. It’s free and it adds a special ambiance to your date. If you’re feeling ambitious, gather some rocks to make a fire pit in the sand (this is especially fun if there’s space on your beach for such an activity). Grab some marshmallows and sticks (if you don’t have them already), roast some s’mores and enjoy each other’s company around a roaring bonfire on the beach as the sun sets behind you.
Pro tip: Before this particular activity, check with local laws to see if it’s allowed.
7. Have a Picnic or Barbecue
Picnics are the perfect way to show your date how well you can cook and they also allow for more intimacy than a restaurant.
If you’re in an area with many bugs and sand, bring along some towels to sit on, plus bug spray if needed. A blanket is also great if the weather is cooler or windy.
There’s no need to be fancy here — pick up some sandwiches at your local deli or grocery store and throw together some snacks from home that go well together. For beverages, make it fun by choosing different flavors of soda or water bottles with infusers!
As long as you have music playing in the background and keep things light-hearted throughout the afternoon, it’ll be an enjoyable picnic experience for everyone involved!
8. Make Sand Art
Sand art is a great way to spend time on the beach and let out your inner child. You can have so much fun building a sandcastle together. You need to use your imagination and decide what you want to make. You could even create the shape of something to showcase your personality to your date, like a heart, a person, an animal or a building.
9. Play Volleyball or Beach Frisbee
If you are up for physical activity, you and your date could play volleyball or beach frisbee. Beach frisbee is even more fun if you or your partner bring along a furry friend.
10. Skip Stones
Skipping stones isn’t just for kids! This could be a fun way to get to know your date while doing an easy activity. Here are some tips for skipping stones:
- Pick a flat stone about the size of your palm and hold it with the bottom of your palm facing up (the smooth side should be resting on your fingers). Toss the stone into the water with a flick of your wrist. This will cause it to bounce across the surface until it sinks.
- What kind of stones work best? Any flat stone can work, but smoother ones are easier to throw farther because they’re less likely to wobble off course as they move through their trajectory.
- How should I grip my stone? Your thumb should rest at one end; this helps control how far it goes when you throw it so that there isn’t too much force behind its movement — you want just enough momentum for it to bounce along without sinking or skipping past its target area!
11. Collect Seashells
You can collect seashells to make craft projects, ornaments or even jewelry. Seashells are so beautiful and remind us of the beach and our time together, so they’re always a good choice for a date idea if you’ve been with your partner for a while. You could make a necklace, earrings or a bracelet out of the shells you find on the beach.
12. Hang Out at the Beach to Watch the Sunset
It’s the perfect time to cozy up with a blanket, some snacks and your significant other as you watch the sunset. Bring a bottle of wine if you like (and if it’s allowed on your beach)!
If you want to make this date more memorable but save money, try bringing snacks from home. Some ideas include trail mix or fruit.
13. Watch the Stars Come Out
When the sun goes down and the stars come out, few things are more romantic than watching them with your sweetheart. If you’re looking for a new spot to watch the stars, look no further than the beach! Here’s how you can get the most out of your star-gazing experience:
- Find a comfortable place to sit so that both of you can easily look up at the sky.
- Make sure both of your backs are supported by something soft like pillows or blankets.
- Take turns making small talk about what the other did that day (or week) and how they’ve been feeling lately — while also keeping an eye out for any shooting stars in case one happens by.
14. Go to a Beach Festival or Concert
Going to a beach festival or concert is a great way to spend the day with your significant other. For discounts on tickets, make sure that you get them in advance!
15. Catch Fireworks by the Shoreline
If you’re heading to the beach for fireworks, get a spot with a good view. If you want to see all the beautiful colors from a distance, you should head down early and stake out your spot on the sand or pavement. Bring blankets, hand warmers and anything else that will make your viewing experience more comfortable. You can also bring along chairs for sitting and snuggling with each other or friends if this is a double date!
Check out our other favorite date ideas: Alphabet Date Ideas for Couples
The Possibilities are Endless for Your Beach Date
There are so many possibilities for your beach date! You may think, “Well, we could go to dinner at a restaurant off the beach.” Or you may be planning on renting bikes and riding around town. These ideas are good and would also be excellent beach date activities — but there’s more out there!
Beach dates don’t have to be just romantic ones between couples. They can also be fun getaways with friends and family outings with your kids in tow!
We hope we’ve given you some inspiration for your upcoming beach date. Even if you don’t have a plan when you go to the beach, there’s so much fun to be had just by exploring and being creative.
As a multi-passionate creative and a self-proclaimed frequent flyer of weddings, Kiara combines her love for the wedding industry and experience as a professional wedding photographer with her writing abilities to share tips, tricks, and helpful information with couples. She is the owner of Switech Studios a popular wedding photography business. With tons of insider information from behind her camera lens on how to have the best wedding possible, Kiara’s in-depth knowledge is sure to put you on the road to wedding planning success.