Wedding day hairstyles for thin hair types can be difficult to find, especially if you suffer from hair loss. Weddings are one of the most special occasions in a person’s life, and you want to ensure that your hair sections are perfect! Luckily, you have plenty of options when it comes to your hair style specifically.
From loose curls, to tight curls, to protective styles, we’ve got you covered on popular wedding hairstyles.
Many women have thin hair from years of excessive styling with straighteners, blow dryers, curlers, and changing hair dyes.
However, this shouldn’t stop you from looking beautiful! Whether you are looking for bridal hairstyles for thin hair or bridesmaid hairstyles for thin hair, we got you covered! There is an option for brides who struggle with thinner hair!
Best Wedding Hairstyles For Thin Hair (Short, Medium & Long)
Don’t fret, my friend! Whether you have long thin locks or super-short hair, there’s a look for you. Keep reading and I’ll prove it to you!
1. Messy yet Textured Bun
This is the perfect bridesmaid updos for thin hair. Especially if you hardly had enough time to get ready, this quick messy bun will help you look chic.
It also helps in adding volume to your hair in no time!
These easy steps will get you the perfect look.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo
- Air dry
- Comb thoroughly
- Take a curler and add lots of curls
- Apply a serum that sets the hair in place
- Twist them up into a bun
- Adjust with clips
- Use a hair setting spray to set it in place and add some flowers to add more beauty.
And you are ready to rock that elevated look to your hair’s natural texture!
2. The Jumbo Braid Updo
Walking in style without much hassle of a braid swinging is easier with this style! For those who are looking for wedding hairstyles with long thin hair, this one will prove to be a good solution.
In fact, this hairstyle is something less seen at weddings as it adds a dramatic effect to the whole look! What an ever-versatile braid.
Follow these easy steps to get started.
- Make sure your hair is clean and conditioned
- If you want a sleek texture, straighten it out
- You can tie up the front strands by twisting them and pinning them up
- Plait your hair altogether
- Pin the plaits up in a high bun
- Set with a hair spray
You are ready to look dramatic!
3. Braided curly ponytail (for mid-length hair)
A ponytail can look both formal and informal, but it totally depends on how you aim to carry it. So if your dress is already studded with beads, this hairstyle will complement that outfit. This hairstyle works well with both straight hair and curled hair.
You get both curls and wedding braid hairstyles in one.
- Make sure your hair is washed, dried, and conditioned
- Start by braiding the upper half of your hair down to the earlobe
- Tie it off where the braid ends
- Grab a curler and add light waves to it
- Use hairspray to set it
- Add any fancy hairpins with pearls that you feel will look grand
That teased ponytail is going to turn heads when you walk in the room!
4. Teased Braided buns
Buns and braids can make your hair look luscious and beautiful. All you need to know is the trick to handle them perfectly.
This hairstyle will add the illusion of volume and make them look gorgeous with a few natural flowers tucked into the braided strands.
- Wash your hair but don’t condition it, apply a hair soothing serum instead
- You can add some waves if you like
- Pick two strands one from each side and braid them
- Now using a pony tail, tie a loose bun
- Let some stands sway in the front as well
- Make sure you are tucking in and pinning the braids loosely into the bun
- Use a hair setting spray to fix them in place
- Use a curler to add waves to the front strands
Add some small natural flowers to enhance the overall look.
5. 60’S Side twist bun
You can say this wedding hairstyle for thin hair is always in! You can never go wrong with it! It is extremely easy to do, even if you don’t own a curler or a straightener, this hairstyle will turn out perfectly. You can become your own bun maker for this perfect wedding day hair technique.
All you need is some pins, a neat hand, and a rose!
- Start off with clean dry hair
- Side part your hair and twist the front half of your hair
- Now, tie the hair on the back half of your head
- Pin the twist with the ponytail
- Now, turn in the ponytail into a bun at the nape of your neck
- Tease it a little and leave a few light strands dangling near the other side of your head where the twist is not present
- Add a rose at the bottom of the twist where it inserts into the bun
- Set with a hair spray
There you go looking like a beautiful model from the 60s!
6. Romantic double braided up-do
The double braided up-do will certainly make your hair look thick and trendy. The romantic double braided up-do is another one of those flat-out gorgeous wedding hairstyles.
It’s a combination of a fishtail and a normal braid. Both paired and locked up in a bun style.
- Wash hair and blow-dry
- Apply a serum to smooth out the frizz
- Start by tying up a few bits of hair in the front by turning and twisting them. Tie the ends using a rubber band.
- Plait the lower end of your hair in a fishtail braid
- Tie it up with a pin horizontally
- Add floral pins to it
You can add studded pins on the braided strands like in the video below.
7. Side fishtail braid with curls
This hairstyle stands out if your hairs have highlights or if they are dyed in a slightly lighter tone. However, your natural hair color will also look perfect!
Although this hairstyle stays in place well, however, you need to use lots of pins to secure it. This is not a simple braid or no-fuss hairstyle.
You need to be careful with it if your hair is between a short and medium length. It looks best on long thin hair adding volume.
- Wash and condition your hair
- Let it air dry
- Side partition your hair and start with a fishtail braid from the crown of your head
- Keep braiding till you reach the end of your hair length
- Secure with a nice thin rubber hand
- Add small red or white roses between the folds of the braid
- Use a hair setting spray to keep them looking gorgeous all through the event
Sure this one might exhaust you but it turns out beautiful always!
8. Twisted half ups
The twisted half-ups are easy to make and one of the most attractive bridal wedding hairstyles for thin hair. Half-up half-down hairstyles are all the rage.
- Simply wash and condition your hair
- Comb them well
- Start with taking a strand from both sides of your head and start twisting them
- Now bind the ends with a rubber band, add hair garland
You are ready!
9. Loose curly neat bun
Yes, a bun can look neat and loose at the same time! You just need to have clean conditioned hair!
- Wash, condition, and apply a serum to settle any frizz
- Tie your hair in a loose ponytail and try to evenly pull up the strands above the ponytail.
- Tuck the rest of the ponytail hair in a bun
- Secure with pins
Simple, neat and chic!
10. Simple Waves
The simplest style can make you stand out in the crowd! The wavy hairstyle is one of the excellent wedding hairstyles for medium-length hair!
- Wash your hair and condition it
- Wait till it naturally dries
- Now take a curler and add waves to your hair starting below the earlobe
- Use a hair setting spray in the end
Gorgeous yet volumized till the tips!
11. Open hair with Twists
This one doesn’t need any details! Just let your hair fall naturally, give it a little twist with a curling iron, and maybe add a pretty pin! A cute bridesmaid look that cant go unnoticed!
12. Light puff, neat side bub
Want to add extravagance to your whole look? This wedding hairstyle for thin hair will do the trick of making your hair look luscious! Easy steps will get you through!
- Wash, dry, and comb your hair
- Take the front partition of your hair and use a hairpin to make a puff
- With the hair at the back made a neat bun and secure any stray strands with clips
- Now set in place with a hair setting spray
13. Old Hollywood waves
If you are looking for wedding hairstyles for short thin hair this one will get you the glam look with some luscious strands.
- Simply wash your hair and blowdry
- Add big waves using a curler
- Side part hair, set with a setting spray
14. Parallel Braids with a rose bun
One of the best bridesmaid hairstyles for thin hair! It will require medium to long length but it looks beautiful once it’s ready! You can also check out the easier version of this.
- Wash, condition, and dry
- Partition your whole hair into two sections
- Leave some hair in the middle
- Build a braid starting from the base of the neck and go all the way up, secure with a pin on the front by adding a little twist at the edges
- For the hair left in the middle, curl the strands in the shape of a rose and secure with pins
- Use a hair setting spray at the end
Remember to nicely twist the hair in the front!
15. Simple studded braid
As simple as it sounds, with this brunette bridal hair, bangs are preferred but if not just curl up a few strands in the front. Next, braid your hair in the back and add studded pins on each braid fold. Looks gorgeous in no time!
16. Sleek low ponytail
This one is again very simple, just part your hair into two positions. Gather them and tie them in a ponytail close to the nape of your neck.
Slick back hair with a hair gel, a timeless hairstyle perfect for every look.
17. Romantic Locks
Again, very easy to do and proves excellent for shoulder-length hair. Just add curls to your locks and a hair garland to finish the look.
18. Neat bun
Just gather all your hair and tuck them in into a neat bun at the back of your head. That’s all! Use a gel to smooth out the frizz.
19. Simple Bridal Blowout
Wash your hair and using a blow dryer and a curler comb blow dry outwards. Use a hair setting spray to retain the blow-dried hair look for long.
20. Braid Hairband
Start braiding your hair from one end of your temple near the ear, continue and take it to the opposite end.
Secure the end with a clip. You can add some hair glitter to the braid to give it a little party looks!
3 Must-Know Things To Know About Styling Thin Hair
Fine hair makes it difficult to keep curls or create natural-looking volume—and no one likes drooping, lifeless hair on their big day. 
Even a simple hairstyle like a low bun needs a bit of elegance when it comes to your wedding day. There are various hairstyles you could try. from a high ponytail to half-up, Half-down.
Another alternative is using hair extensions to add more volume to your hairdo.
One vital thing is that your hairstylist needs to be armed with various hair accessories including a headband, bobby pins, roller, and even a sock! A sock makes a great low bun.
Check out these other great tips for styling fine hair. 
- Always use a volumizing shampoo for washing your hair before you start styling them
- Prefer to air-dry rather than blow-dry
- Use scalp oils to massage hair, it also stimulates the growth of new hair
- To get more height for your hair, backcomb the hair at the crown.
- It’s common knowledge that if you have fine hair you should shampoo less often. To keep your hair fresh and clean consider using a dry shampoo.
- Avoid heavyweight products like pomades, and waxes. They will weigh down your hair and make it look more fine. Instead, opt for a lightweight hair spray.
- Velcro rollers are a great way to achieve that elegant updo as they give you that extra lift.
- Last but not least top it up with a perfect tiara or flowers for a complete wedding hairdo.
How to Care for Thin Hair Before Your Wedding Day
There are several women who are naturally born with thin hair. If you would like to make your hair look healthy before your wedding day, it’s important that you visit your hairdresser so you can try on a number of hairstyles.
In the meantime, though, there are some things you should know about caring for your thin hair. Here are some tips on how you can make your thin hair healthy before your big day:
Use gentle products
Before using any hair product, you should check the ingredients included in the bottle. Keep an eye out for products that contain harsh ingredients (like sulfates and alcohol) as they can strip off the natural oils in your hair.
Or even better, use a specifically designed product for thin hair.
Avoid heat styling
As much as you can, avoid heat styling as it can damage your thin hair and cause it to break and appear even thinner. On your wedding day, if you need to use a heat styling tool, make sure that your hairstylist will use a heat protectant spray on you. Also, make sure that the lowest heat setting is used.
Brush your hair gently
Brush your hair gently using a brush that has soft bristles. As much as you can, avoid pulling or tugging on your hair. You can detangle knots by starting at the ends and work your way up.
Protect your hair from the sun
Aside from being damaging to your skin, your hair can also be damaged by the sun. Too much exposure can make your hair more fragile and dried out.
The best way to protect your hair from the sun is to wear a hat or use a hair product that contains SPF.
Have a trim regularly
Did you know that getting a trim regularly can help make your hair look healthy? It can also prevent split ends. If you can, visit your hairstylist every six to eight weeks for a trim. Make sure that your hairstylist knows you have thin hair so that they avoid using thinning shears.
Wear hair extensions
On your big day, you can add volume to your hair using hair extensions. Look for extensions that have been made from human hair so that they will be of high-quality.
In conclusion, caring for thin hair requires a gentle touch and a commitment to healthy habits. By using the right products, avoiding damaging heat styling, protecting your hair from the sun, and eating a healthy diet, you can help to keep your thin hair looking beautiful and healthy.
Can thin hair become thick again?
You are born with a certain texture of hair, it is nearly impossible to change the texture of your hair but you can volumize them.
What hairstyle is best for thin hair?
Braided and wavy hairstyles are the best as they make hair look bulky and luscious.
Does thin hair look better short or long?
A shorter length always looks best. You can easily style them and they look thick when curled.
Is it better to have short hair if your hair is thin?
Yes, longer hair has more chances of breakage whereas short hair looks voluminous and luscious.
We have listed some excellent bridal updos for every girl who is not sure how to go about managing her thin hair! You can also lookup for some African wedding hairstyles braids if you are really into braids.
Just follow these easy wedding hairstyles for thin hair and nothing can stop you from an elegant look whether you are a bridesmaid or bride yourself!
What are your favorite wedding hairstyles for thin hair? Please share with us below!
- 1. Can’t Get Your Hair to Hold a Curl? Here’s What to Do [Internet]. The Everygirl. 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 2]. Available from: https://theeverygirl.com/why-doesnt-my-hair-hold-a-curl/
- 2. Nast C. 17 Styling Tricks Women with Fine, Flat Hair Need to Know [Internet]. SELF. 2015 [cited 2022 Mar 2]. Available from: https://www.self.com/story/styling-tips-for-fine-hair
Deanna has a knack for finding unique vacation destinations. She regularly puts her research skills into action to find the most amazing LGBTQ-friendly honeymoon ideas.