Are you trying to sort out all your wedding details and find the prettiest sustainable wedding invitations? Well,’ you’ve come to the right place. Our selection will help you plan an eco-friendly wedding that won’t have a high negative environmental effect.
Let’s start with a quick look at our top picks, then keep reading for all the glorious details.
READ MORE: Tips for a Low Waste Wedding
Sustainable Wedding Invitation Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Plantable Seed Paper Eco-friendly Sustainable Biodegradable Invitation
- Biodegradable Seeded Invitation
- Beer Wedding Invitation
- STARRY WOODLAND Boho Celestial Invitation
- Handmade Invitations With Recycled Paper
Check the table below for a side-by-side comparison of our favorites!
What to Look for with Eco-Friendly Wedding Invitations
While searching for your next earth-redeeming invitation, it is important that you keep a good lookout for certain things. You do not know what to look out for? Well, we have got you. Here are 5 important elements to consider when picking out eco-friendly wedding invitations.
- Made using natural materials: The urge to use eco-friendly and sustainable wedding invitations should propel you to prioritize purchasing only 100% biodegradable and home-compostable invites. There are countless brands out there that produce such inventions, making them out of sugar cane, cotton, and even plantable seeds.
- Made using sustainable paper: Substituting traditional paper for sustainable paper, like those made from hemp and bamboo, is another eco-friendly approach. This helps reduce the demand for virgin wood.
- Made using eco-friendly ink: There are two options available today: petroleum and vegetable-based ink. Petroleum-based ink is not environmentally friendly, emitting more VOCs, which can cause organ damage. On the other hand, vegetable-based ink is a lot safer.
- Packaged with sustainable materials: When you get your shipment of wedding invitations, make sure that they are packaged in either biodegradable, recyclable, or reusable packaging. That way, you would not be contributing to environmental degradation.
- Brand certification: The last thing on this list is checking if the brand uses paper with the Forest Stewardship Council and Sustainable Forestry Initiative certifications. These organizations were set up to foster sustainable tree harvesting in regard to making paper and other tree-based products.
Sustainable Wedding Invitations to Buy
A wedding of 100 to 120 people produces between 400 and 600 lbs of waste on average. These numbers are so scary that it’s time for all of us to rethink the way we live and start doing things differently. A green wedding can lower carbon emissions, paper waste, plastic waste, and so much more. Today, let’s start with the invites.
#1 Plantable Seed Paper Eco-friendly Sustainable Biodegradable Invitation
These plantable wedding invitations by LittleGreenPaperShop are some of the most beautiful designs we’ve seen in a while. The brand’s sustainable mission is clear- helping you plan your eco-friendly wedding. These invites are made on a variety of seed papers, including Poppy, Rudbeckia, Daisy.
It’s definitely worth mentioning that the paper is 100% biodegradable. You’ll get each one packed in a recycled kraft envelope. If you want to take things up a notch, you can also opt for a gorgeous vegan ribbon. Although the brand has a number of other designs, the one we chose is so dreamy, and it will fit perfectly with a rustic wedding.
Your guests can plant the invite and grow themselves some lovely flowers that will remind them of your big day. If you’re all about eco-friendly planning, you can turn to LittleGreenPaperShop for thank you cards, birthday cards, bridesmaids cards, and more.
- Dimensions:5.25 x7.25 Inches (A7)
- Quantity: 100pcs
- 148 GSM / 100lbs Text Paper
CHECK: 5 Best Sustainable Wedding Gifts for Guests
#2 Biodegradable Seeded Invitation
Allpaperseverything is another brand that wants to make the world a better place and your wedding day much more sustainable. This invite is made of plantable paper that’s 100% biodegradable and will deliver gorgeous wildflowers.
If you want to check the quality, they offer a sample pack that includes envelopes, RSVPs, eco-friendly plantable wedding invitations, save the dates, and more. The brand’s range is quite diverse, and they also offer digital wedding invitations, seeded place cards, menus, and more.
- Plant, water and let love grow! Our handmade plantable eco friendly zero waste seed paper is made from 100% FSC recycled paper waste and cotton linters. 22 assorted colors, completely biodegradable with no chemicals or dyes
- Wildflower Party Decorations – Each antique sheet is embedded with non-invasive and non-GMO seeds: alyssum, catchfly, bird’s eye, baby blue eye, and pink maiden. Create a bloom sign, envelopes or notecards and plant when ready to toss out
- Kraft Gift Paper – Each vintage colored sheet is blank for complete creativity. From greeting cards, rustic wedding favors, bridal invitation, postcards, gift tags, placemats to baby shower, gender reveal, memorial favors, or a thank you card
#3 Beer Wedding Invitation
You don’t have to be a craft beer lover to love these eco-friendly wedding invitations. Made of 100% recycled kraft paper, it offers envelopes in the most gorgeous colors. The design is cute, minimalist, and will fit with the rest of your plantable wedding favors.
Vohandmade makes the invites, and they also offer a wide variety of other wedding invites. The other alternatives aren’t sustainable, but if you ever change your mind, you’ll know where to look.
- The Package length of the product is 1.5 inches
- The Package width of the product is 51.0 inches
- The Package height of the product is 30.0 inches
CHECK: 11 Ethical Wedding Dresses for Eco-Conscious Brides
#4 STARRY WOODLAND Boho Celestial Invitation
The Starry Woodland invite by SisterlyStationary won over our hearts because of its simplicity. Their eco-friendly wedding invitations are made of responsibly sourced FSC certified paper, made with environmentally-friendly ECF pulp. The brand doesn’t use any plastic in any part of their packaging, and they only use vegetable-based ink.
SisterlyStationary has a wide variety of envelopes to choose from, including ones made of recycled paper, FSC certified paper to match the invite and handmade kraft envelopes. They also have plenty of beautiful designs to choose from for wedding invitations if you’re not a fan of this one.
- 1.Each pack includes 25 Cards and 25 Envelopes. Each card measures 4”x 6”. Cards are a generous size allowing for plenty of room to write.
- 2.Fresh greenery cards with black lettering. Unique design by our in-house design team.
- 3.We use heavyweight uncoated white card stock made from well-managed forests. The cards are smudge-proof that you can use any pens to write on.
#5 Handmade Invitations With Recycled Paper
LaTuaMomis made this stunning invitation of recycled lavender paper. The design is magical, plus it comes with a plantable tag that reminds people they should plant it to get a gorgeous new flower. The brand has one other design for invitations and an eco-friendly guest book.
Other Eco-Friendly Wedding Invitation Ideas
We wanted to list some of the best eco-friendly materials you should look for in an invitation for your wedding.
Online Wedding Invitations
Online wedding invitations are perhaps the value package when talking about eco-friendliness, sustainability, and style.
There are numerous sites that can help you create the digital wedding invitations of your dreams. It will cost you less; there is no waste of shipping involved, no wasteful use of paper, and everyone will get theirs.
Likewise, you do not have to worry about compromising on aesthetics, as there are countless tools your designer can use to create the perfect invitation for your wedding.
All you need is to get the email addresses of your wedding guests, and you’re ready to go! We live in a digital era when sending an online invite is easier than ever. You can also use social media platforms, different apps, iMessages, and more.
If you don’t have the time to make your online green wedding invitations, you can hire someone and let them know what you like or purchase ones that you like.
Seedpaper is another fantastic alternative made of post-consumer paper and seeds. These can be flower or vegetable seeds that can be planted in a pot of soil or outdoors. The seeds will result in gorgeous flowers or vegetables that will remind the guests of your wedding.
This paper is made of post-consumer material and is a much more sustainable option than regular invitations. This isn’t actually recycled paper, but it’s one that you’ve already used, but you’re just repurposing.
It can be a newspaper or any other paper you can think of in your home. There is also the option to find post-consumer paper around you and get it.
Envelopes are not a necessity. That’s why the smartest move is to ditch them. You don’t have to use envelopes; instead, send your invitation without one.
Eco-Friendly Gift Invites
You can take the unconventional route and send out eco-friendly gifts as your wedding invitation. There are tons of ideas around this. It can be as simple as a coaster with the details printed on it or a mug with a cute photo on it. You’re certain to live quite the impression.
Are electronic wedding invites tacky?
No, not at all. More and more couples are looking for green wedding ideas, including invitations, wedding favors, and much more. To stay eco-friendly, they send out online invites instead of increasing their carbon footprint with regular ones.
Is it cheaper to print your wedding invitations?
We have the best suggestion! If you need sustainable wedding ideas, there is no need to print invitations. Instead, practice your calligraphy skills and write your invites on recycled paper or another eco-friendly alternative.
If you’re trying to live more sustainably and are planning a wedding, you’ll need great ideas for environmentally friendly wedding invitations. The ones we listed above are all stunning and won’t be harmful to nature. There is no cutting trees involved or harsh chemical treatment. They’re all made of eco-friendly materials that won’t cause any more damage.
If we all work together, we can lower the negative effect that the wedding industry has on the environment, and invites are one of the first places to start.
- “7 Unorthodox Ways to ‘Green’ Your Wedding.” 2012. HuffPost. April 20, 2012. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-secret-waste-that-weddings-leave_b_1439118.
- “Clearcutting – an Overview | ScienceDirect Topics.” n.d. Www.sciencedirect.com. Accessed July 15, 2021. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/clearcutting.
- “Recycle Paper to Make This Plantable Seed Paper.” n.d. The Spruce Crafts. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-make-seed-paper-2905562.
What are your favorite sustainable wedding invitations? Please share below!
I’m a freelance journalist/writer/content marketer with BA Hons in Journalism.
Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API