One of the most beautiful and meaningful moments on your wedding day is when you and your partner exchange vows. The promises that you make to each other will echo in your hearts forever.
Sure, you can stick with the tried and true, but if you want to make them more unique, you’ll love these non-traditional wedding vows below. Check them out!
17 Non Traditional Wedding Vows For HIM
Your wedding vow is a promise to be a supportive and faithful partner forever, in times of joy and in times of sorrow. Instead of using the words  that have been used by people for generations, why not try some alternative wedding vows to make the day feel even more special!
Here are some of my favorites.
1. I vow to amaze you, astonish you, make you laugh, and assist you in all of your attempts.
2. Dream with me, hold me, never let me go and I will be your loving partner forevermore.
4. I promise to always communicate freely with you—never to hold back, but to be honest and loyal as a partner, to love you madly, to love you without limit.
5. I promise that I will always listen to you and never hurt you, will always kiss you and never disgrace you, I will always love you and never abandon you.
6. I give you my hand, my heart, and my word that I will be a loving and devoted partner.
7. This, my partner, is the beginning of forever, forever kisses, forever loves, forever together as one.
8. I look forward to falling in love with you over and over and over again each day.
9. Suddenly, all I’d ever need was contained within you. I knew it when we first met, and I know it now: you are my entire world.
10. The first time I saw you my heart whispered “he’s the one.” My heart was so right.
11. You are, without a doubt, my person, and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.
12. As your partner, I promise to love you until my last day, to be loyal, and to support you through the good and the bad.
13. I pledge to be your loving friend and to comfort you when your team loses this year.
14. If I could do it all over, I’d choose to be you every time.
15. I thought today would be the most wonderful day of my life, but the idea of spending the rest of my life with you makes me hope that the best is yet to come.
16. I dedicate myself to you as I am, with all my faults and strengths, secure in the knowledge that you will perfectly complement me, will lift me up when I am tired and will allow me to lead you through the darkness.
17. We put our words into action by sealing our union with a kiss, following our families’ traditions, and promising in front of all of our friends. For the rest of our lives, I will love, honor, and cherish you above all others.
Check more gay wedding vows for him!
18 Non Traditional Wedding Vows For HER
For the beautiful woman who is going to be by your side for the rest of your life, you need to find vows that will leave a mark on her mind.
I’ve put together some unique wedding vow examples. You can try and personalize them – or use them as they are!
1. Receive this ring and my true love’s kiss as a token of my pure and true love for you, and I promise to forevermore be your loving and devoted partner.
2. I take you as my partner as a mirror of my love, as a complement to me in every way, my lover, my friend.
3. With an open heart, pure spirit, and a sense of pure amazement, I take you as my partner.
4. I vow to risk everything for you—to give over my life for you—to be the man you love.
5. You teach me how to love and how to be a better human, tranquillity, the beauty of the universe, and what those love songs are actually about.
6. You are the best parts of me—my darling, my love, my partner, I give you everything I have and everything I am.
7. Shakespeare offered to count the many ways how he loved his beloved—I have truly lost count.
8. I will be your loyal knight and your Prince Charming [or Princess Charming for lesbian weddings].
9. In the fairytale of our lives, I say to you, “and we lived happily ever after…”
10. You are my first, my last, my everything—my partner whom I adore.
11. I take you to be my partner in all ways and every day. You truly do complete me.
12. Love isn’t pretentious or jealous; it’s built on trust and honesty in all things. As your partner, I pledge to be exactly that.
13. I promise to spend every waking moment with you, learning, loving, understanding your needs, and celebrating with you as my partner.
14. There are no words or feelings enough to express how I feel now; the prospect of you being my companion is overwhelming; I am genuinely the luckiest person alive.
15. As your companion, I promise you to act as your partner and never be prideful or possessive.
16. I promise to be the companion you’ve always dreamed of having. A partner who loves every part of you and supports your every dream.
17. Today, I take you as my partner, my best friend, and the love of my life for as long as we both shall live.
18. With pride, immeasurable love, and infinite excitement for what’s to come, I take you as my companion for life.
Check: Gender Neutral Wedding Vows
29 Non-Traditional Funny Wedding Vows
Weddings are inherently romantic in nature – and so are most wedding vows. If you are planning on writing non-traditional wedding vows, who said it will have to be serious?
You can be romantic and funny at the same time because laughter and love go hand in hand and make life beautiful .
1. I vow I’ll take out the trash even if it’s raining or freezing outside.
2. I promise to unclog the bathroom, even though you are the only one of us with long hair.
3. Even though I’m freezing, I vow to switch on the air conditioner when you’re feeling hot.
4. I promise not to stop believing – if you promise to be my brown-eyed girl.
5. I love you through Time and Relative Dimensions in Space.
6. I promise to pay all my debts to you – a Lannister always does.
7. Even if I am thirsty and your drink is practically right there, I swear not to drink it.
8. I promise to amaze and astonish you every day – did I mention all the magic tricks I’m learning?
9. I promise I’ll wash if you’ll dry, just so we can spend all night – every night – in the kitchen together, laughing.
10. I love you more than I love tasty Nutella.
11. You’re the french fries in my chocolate shake.
12. I promise not to force you to watch a Gossip Girl marathon.
13. We belong together because we are as hot as young Han Solo and Princess Leia.
14. I promise to laugh at all your Monty Python references.
15. I’m so happy I accepted your rose at that party.
16. You are the one I want to binge-watch Netflix shows with forever.
17. I promise to continue to make your friends jealous of our amazing relationship for the rest of my life.
18. I love you, pants or no pants.
19. I can’t wait to take your last name – I am going to totally steal your identity.
20. Let’s be the only people to get each other’s jokes.
21. I love you, truly, madly, deeply… and I was thinking – maybe we should get married.
22. Let’s grow old disgracefully together.
23. You are the love of my life and I choo-choo-choose you forever.
24. Let’s get married love, I’m starving.
25. I promise not to watch the next episode of our favorite shows without you.
26. It’s the little things we do together that make life so fun and vibrant!
27. I can’t wait to grow old with you and look back at this beautiful moment—I’m so excited for all the joy of our life to come!
28. I promise to be your partner in crime and to take the heat if we get caught.
29. I promise to make your dreams mine, to support you, to cherish you, devote my life to your happiness, and lastly love you.
Don’t forget to also check our list of wedding vow song lyrics!
8 Non-Traditional Wedding Vows for Second Marriage
A second marriage is a daring move to take if you want to try your luck at finding love again without losing up.
You’ll need to discover the right wedding vow for your new life partner, one that expresses your readiness to start your new life with a clean slate. Here’s a collection of non-traditional wedding vows that are ideal if you or your partner are planning a second wedding.
1. I’m not promising it’ll be easy—nothing good ever is—and I’m not promising it’ll be perfect—perfection is a myth, and we’re here to be as genuine as possible.
2. Let the tangling of our fingers, as we hold each other’s hands, be a symbol of our united lives as we walk together hand in hand from now till the end of our days.
3. Let us love one other passionately and be lost in each other’s embraces for the rest of our lives. Let us make a promise to encourage each other to share, to constantly be by one other, and to face the world as partners.
4. Until the end of our lives, there will never be another love as pure as the one I have for you. We live together in God’s glory and will be reunited in the Holy Spirit when our time on this earth comes to an end.
5. In love, I can’t say I abandon all others. I love my family, our friends, and I will adore our children, but I love you above all else, with a passion and fire that will never die and burns brightly so that everyone can know how much I care about you.
6. I will imagine with you – be your cheerleader – be your partner – be your guide when you need light in the dark, and grab for your hand, trusting it will be there when I need support in the night – be your company on this journey and to love forever.
7. Every day, I look forward to going home to tell you about what happened, to sit with you holding hands in the evening, and to go to sleep dreaming of you.
8. Our love will be the great journey of our lives, I vow. I vow I’ll never forget our bond and will adore you for the rest of my life. To be there for you when things got tough and to constantly congratulate you on your accomplishments.
Frequently Asked Questions about Non-Traditional Wedding Vows
Now that you have taken a look at my list of amazing wedding vows that are unique, romantic, and funny, you know more have to worry about an inspiration to write your own promises. You can personalize them or use the exact words, as you want. Do you still have questions about unconventional wedding vows? Take a look at the answers!
Non-traditional vows are those that do not use the words that have been used for generations like verses from the Bible. While writing one, you just have to express the feeling in your heart. You can also look into pop culture, like sitcoms, movies, songs, etc., for inspiration.
A modern wedding vow is one that’s more personal than just lines from religious scriptures. Of course, you can get inspired by songlines or the wise words of famous poets and writers. But make sure to give it your own touch by adding memories or dreams that you share.
If you wish to write a wedding vow that’s unique, you will need to look deep inside yourself to bring out your feelings. That’s the greatest inspiration. Apart from that, you can check out songs, poems, lines from books and movies, or even shows to draw inspiration before writing your vows.
Every wedding vow is about staying by each other’s side throughout life and cherishing the special person. You can personalize it by adding your own promises to each other like supporting each other, communicating in a way that works for you, taking care of one another’s quirks, etc.
If wedding jitters and all the responsibilities have kept you from writing your vows till the last hour, you can still do it. You just need to quickly skim through a few non-traditional vow examples and personalize them with your own memories and dreams to write your wedding vows in less than one hour!
It may seem difficult to write a wedding vow but closing it on a romantic note may be even harder. At the end of the vow, you can add one last promise that you will keep till eternity or till death do you apart. You can also end the vow by expressing your love with the three simple words, “I love you.”
Whether a couple wants their full names to be pronounced while reciting wedding vows or wish to go on a first name basis depends on them. Usually, when the two people getting married address each other, they use first names or even nicknames, especially while pronouncing non-traditional vows.
Most couples choose to take the traditional route when it comes to wedding vows by choosing verses from the Bible, using traditional Celtic wedding vows, and more. But if you and your partner in life have an unconventional attitude towards life and like to be funny and non-traditional, choosing unique and modern wedding vows will be the perfect way to start your journey of life together!
1. Stewart M. Traditional Wedding Vows for Your Ceremony [Internet]. Martha Stewart. Martha Stewart; 2017 [cited 2021 Dec 9]. Available from: https://www.marthastewart.com/7888175/traditional-wedding-vows#:~:text=Traditional%20Wedding%20Vows%20for%20Your%20Ceremony.%201%20Catholic.,3%20Presbyterian.%204%20Protestant.%205%20Quaker.%20More%20items
2. Why Laughter is Contagious [Internet]. Greater Good. 2011 [cited 2021 Dec 9]. Available from: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_laughter_is_contagious/#:~:text=As%20many%20of%20us%20know%2C%20laughter%20is%20contagious.,ancestors%20well%20through%20millions%20of%20years%20of%20evolution.
What are your favorite non-traditional wedding vows? Share below!
Nicole is the editor-in-chief and regular staff writer for LoveYouWedding. What does that mean? Basically, she handles all the day-to-day tasks related to managing writers and bringing you stellar content on planning the LGBTQ+ wedding of your dreams.
She loves writing about quirky and unique wedding ideas, probably because she’s pretty quirky herself!