Having a hard time finding some really amazing first anniversary gifts for gay couples? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! It can be a bit tricky to find paper-related gifts (the traditional theme of the 1st anniversary) that are unique and impressive.
Sure, you could give them a journal or beautiful planner, but we’ve come up with some even better options. A first anniversary is quite a big deal, after all, so you want to make it super special for the happy couple! Read on to see them!
What are you supposed to give couples for their 1st Anniversary
As you may know (or maybe not!), each anniversary has a traditional and modern theme, plus an official flower and even a gemstone. Let’s see what’s on the list for the 1st Anniversary!
Following the traditional ways, the gifts for the first anniversary should be made out of paper. The roots of this tradition are not known exactly, but some theories suggest that the first year is still fragile, and should be cared for properly.
Clocks are the more modern 1st anniversary theme, while carnations are the official flower, while gold or yellow are the special colors associated with it. As far as gemstones go, gold jewelry is the traditional, even though it’s not technically a gem. However, both Peridot and Pearl are considered alternatives.
With all this in mind, you will be able to choose both traditional, and non-traditional first anniversary gifts for your friends, and maybe give them a gift they are not expecting!
Related: 17 Amazing Anniversary Gifts for Gay & Lesbian Couples for Years 1-9
First Anniversary Gifts For Gay Couples
From super affordable yet sweet gifts to give your friends to beautiful ideas to give each other, we tried to give you a good range of options.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Paper Folding Stool
This is one of those gifts that perfectly combine the tradition with the modern world. These types of stools are great accessories to have around the house, they are stylish, and if the couple really likes modern things, then you should totally go for it.
There are numerous stores where you can find one of these paper folding stools, and there are definitely many designs to choose from. We love the one pictured here from Amazon, though!
2. Origami Crane
This beautiful Origami crane is definitely one of the most unique and stunning ways to give paper as a first anniversary gift. Buy it as is or add personalization. The rainbow pattern is created specifically for LGBTQ couples, and it even comes with a 5 yen piece (which is basically the equivalent of a nickel in the US).
3. Letter Board
A letter board is one of the things not a lot of people buy for themselves, but it can be an amazing idea to keep around. The couple can leave cute messages for each other, and it may just be something they’ll use a lot!
While this one pictured here doesn’t fit the paper, clock, or carnation theme, it does come in many colors, including yellow and gold. We love the rainbow one, though!
- Rainbow Felt Letter Boards 10 x 10 Inches, Luxuriously soft announcement boards with letters is made from sustainable polyester. Exceptional quality, handmade Letter Board With Letters And Numbers. Our Message Board is built with love, to last.
- Celebrate every Occassion: Life passes quickly but precious memories bring us together and shape our lives. Be creative with pregnancy announcements, wedding messages, birthday decorations, nursery decor, first day of school boards & everyday home message boards to create & share.
- 300 Piece Character Letterboard Letter Set. More 3/4" letters than ever and you can store them in the included Drawstring Pouch. Use the Online Editor to see if there are enough characters to write your message? You can buy an extra Pinky Promise, Bronze or Pastel letter set to really make your Bulletin Board Decor unique!
4. Photo Printer
If your friends take a lot of pictures, then a photo printer can be the thing they need. This way, they will be able to print their favorites to put in their photo albums or hang on their walls, and keep them as a memory for the years to come.
Before you say, “hey, that doesn’t fit ANY of the 1st anniversary themes,” just think about it. What are photos printed on? 😀 There are plenty of options that fit all budgets, but we like this one by Canon.
- Not only will your photos be instantly dry, but they will also look great for up to 100 Years4 and are even water resistant!
- Enjoy the simplicity of connecting your smartphone and tablet with ease, through the Canon Print App3. You can even Print directly from USB, or your camera's memory Card2.
- The sleek, portable design lets you bring the selphy CP1300 with you - and with the optional battery back you can Print and share your memories wherever you are.
5. Their Wedding Vows
This can be considered a personal gift, but it can be beautiful. What you need to do, is either ask them for the vows or watch a recording to get them. The next step will be to have them printed, framed, and offer them as gifts for their first anniversary. This is also a wonderful gift for couples to give each other!
Again, your options are limitless. You can print the vows at home and buy just a frame or get really fancy! I love this option from Etsy because you can include their wedding photo, too.
6. Luggage Tags
A set of personalized luggage tags can be the best present for that couple who likes to travel all the time. It will help them keep an eye on their bags in the most beautiful way possible.
I love this set from Amazon because you can personalize it. Plus, it comes with a matching passport holder, too.
- PERSONALIZED PASSPORT COVER & LUGGAGE TAG SET FOR WOMEN AND MEN - Click on the ‘Customize Now’ button to add your name, initials, or favorite travel quote for a truly personal touch!
- 🎁 GREAT HONEYMOON GIFT - Perfect for any traveler men, women or couples. Free laser engraving - NO EXTRA COST.
- ✂️ MATERIAL - Passport covers and Luggage Tags are made from scratch-resistant faux leather with a beautiful quality engraving that makes travel more fun. We wanted to create a passport holder and tag that would last you for a lifetime. This richly textured, synthetic material is water-resistant, easy to clean and durable enough for the rigors of daily use. The high-quality workmanship of each leatherette piece is sure to impress every recipient with its elegant individuality.
7. A Beautiful Bouquet Carnation Soaps
While you can certainly gift your favorite couple a bouquet of real carnations, these beautiful soaps are another amazing option. The petals are actually bath melts! Not only are they gorgeous, but they’re useful, too! They come in three sizes.
8. Personalized Clock
Since clocks are the modern 1st anniversary symbol/theme, give the happy couple a personalized one that they’ll cherish forever! Amazon has tons of great options, including photo clocks.
Personally, I love this one, though. It’s personalized with their last name and has a wonderful quote about time spent with family. I also love the rustic farmhouse feel, that’s super popular right now!
- This clock measures 18" in diameter and is 5/8" thick
- The text and designs are printed directly onto the wood. No decals are used, ensuring that your sign will not peel, chip, or fade
- The words "The" and "Family" will not automatically be included. Please include all the text you want on the sign when you order.
9. Cuckoo Clock
Speaking of clocks, if you want to give the couple (or each other) something that they can pass down through generations, a cuckoo clock is an amazing choice. They come in all sorts of styles now, including more modern options that aren’t quite so “rustic” looking. Personally, though, I adore the over-the-top options! They’re just more genuine to me.
I love this one from Amazon! It has all the pizazz of a traditional cuckoo clock, but the coloring is a bit more subtle than the “wow, that’s rustic” style of some of the others. Whatever you choose, just make sure it comes with a Black Forest Clock Association certificate of authenticity.
- Made in Germany / Warranty: 2 years
- 100% authentic black forest cuckoo clock
- included: certificate of authenticity by the black forest clock association
10. Pearl jewelry
This one is more along the lines of something that couples would give each other, since it’s a bit pricier. Plus, you really need to know the recipients tastes when it comes to jewelry.
While you can go with anything from pins to earrings, I really love this cultured black pearl pendant. It’s a little more unique than a regular white pearl, in my opinion.
- Streamlined pendant is made of 925 sterling silver with 18k gold plated, whose silver part is not oxidized easily, remaining radiant, matching a free 18 inches cable chain.
- VIKI LYNN Tahitian pearl necklace is the ultimate jewelry for women, also as Christmas gifts, Mothers day gifts for mom , Birthday gifts for women, Wedding anniversary gifts for wife or simply, "Just Because", ensuring a smile on your loved one's face.
- Attention pleases: Most Tahitian pearls that are identified as “black” are actually charcoal grey, silver, or dark green. All pearls are imported from Tahiti, each Tahitian pearl necklace has official certification.
I hope you found exactly what you’re looking for with these first anniversary gifts for gay couples! If nothing jumped out at you, though, take a look at all of our other gift ideas! Maybe they’d like some hers and hers bathrobes, or one of these outstanding last-minute anniversary gifts for LGBTQ couples.
Whatever you choose, they’ll love it because it came from your heart. It truly is the thought that counts the most!
What are some of your favorite first anniversary gifts for gay couples? Share below!
Andreea is a very passionate content creator and her purpose is to provide you with the most interesting articles, while constantly discovering new facts. She’s been freelance writing for the past five years and has created numerous articles and educational materials while managing her own blog.