When it comes to the wedding playlist, you can curate a unique selection by choosing Indie songs by your favorite artists.
Whether you’re a fan of 70’s classics, 90’s retro music, or contemporary styles – you have the option to choose from the songs by many of the amazing independent artists. So, to make your wedding day special, I have put together a list of indie ideas!
Also Check: Romantic Movie Songs for Wedding
20 Best Indie Wedding Songs List
Every event at your wedding ceremony can become special with good music! If you’re not really into mainstream tunes, take a look at my favorite indie wedding songs.
- “Sleepwalking,” – Modest Mouse
- “Walking on a Dream,” – Empire of the Sun
- “Everything Has Changed,”– Ed Sheeran ft. Taylor Swift
- California Daze,”– Peace
- “You and Me Song” -Wannadies
- “Friday I’m In Love”– The Cure
- “There Will Be Time,”– Mumford & Sons ft. Baaba Maal
- “Only You,” – Joshua Radin
- “Sweeter,” – Awake or Sleeping
- “This Year’s Love,” – David Gray
- “Forever”- Dropkick Murphys
- “Skinny Love,” – Bon Iver
- “Angel/Better Together,” – Jack Johnson
- “Colors,” – Amos Lee
- “Home,” – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- “The General Specific,”– Band of Horses
- “First Day of My Life,” – Bright Eyes
- “Are You Gonna Be My Girl,” – Jet
- “You and I,” – Ingrid Michaelson
- “Rhythm of Love,” – Plain White T’s
Check: Best Hiphop Wedding Songs
11 Best First Dance Indie Wedding Songs
When a newlywed couple hits the dance floor, it is one of the most beautiful moments of the wedding day.
What’s going to make it even more memorable is a good dance song playlist. There are many amazing indie artists whose songs can add the magic of love to your first dance. If you want to dance to some melodious indie tracks, make sure to check out the recommended indie first dance songs given below!
- ‘‘Heroes’’ – David Bowie
- ‘‘Bonnie & Clyde’’ – Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot
- “Stuck On A Puzzle’’ – Alex Turner
- ‘‘Still Together’’ – Mac DeMarco
- ‘‘Superstar’’ – Sonic Youth
- ‘‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” – The Smiths
- ‘‘Wild Horses’’ – The Rolling Stones
- ‘‘Dog Days Are Over’’ – Florence & The Machine
- ‘‘Just Like Heaven’’ – The Cure
- “Better Together” – Us the Duo
- “Yellow” – Coldplay
15 Indie Wedding Processional Songs
When you sit down to handle the challenging task of curating your wedding day playlist, you can’t just concentrate on the first dance!
You also need to think about other segments of the ceremony – including the time when the wedding procession walks down the aisle at the beginning of the wedding ceremony. You can add some thoughtful indie wedding songs – and I have listed a few of them below!
- “All Love Everything” – Aloe Blacc
- “The Bones” – Maren Morris
- “Lovefool“- The Cardigans
- “How Would You Feel” – Ed Sheeran
- “Sending My Love” – Chloe x Halle
- “Poetry” – Wrabel
- “ Don’t Delete The Kisses“- Wolf Alice
- “Something Changed“- Pulp
- “Blessed” – Thomas Rhett
- “River” – Leon Bridges
- “pov” – Ariana Grande
- “The Only Exception” – Paramore
- “Hold Back the River,” – James Bay
- “On My Mind,” – Ellie Goulding
- “Saw You in a Dream,” – The Japanese House
20 Best Indie Songs to Walk Down the Aisle To
The walk down the aisle is when you will be flooded by many emotions – love, excitement, nervousness, and more!
These indie songs below definitely capture that feeling!
- “Collide” – Tiana Major
- “Beginning Middle End” – Leah Nobel
- “Easy” – Camila Cabello
- “Butterflies” – Kasey Musgraves
- “All My Days” – Alexi Murdoch
- “Black & White” – Niall Horan
- “Still Falling for You,” – Ellie Goulding
- “Somewhere Only We Know,” – Keane
- “A Thousand Years,” – Christina Perri
- “Wedding Bell,” – Beach House
- “Grow Old With Me,” – Tom Odell
- “The Luckiest,” – Ben Folds
- “You Make My Dreams,” – Hall & Oates
- “Marry Song,” – Band of Horses
- “Magic,” – Coldplay
- “True Love Waits,” – Radiohead
- “When We First Met,” – Hellogoodbye
- “Oh, It Is Love,” – Hellogoodbye
- “Eyes,” – Rogue Wave
- “Marry You,” – Bruno Mars
Also Check: Top Black Wedding Songs
30 Best Indie First Dance Wedding Songs
Here is a well-curated list of indie wedding songs suitable for walking down the aisle, your first dance, and playing throughout your reception.
In search for the ultimate play list on your big day? Don’t miss out on these other top wedding songs posts:
- 65 Dance Songs for Weddings to Keep the Party Alive!
- The Ultimate Collection of 80s Wedding Songs for Your Special Day
- Last Songs at Weddings to Perfectly End Your Special Day
1. “Only You” by Joshua Radin
Lyrics of Love: “/All I needed was the love you gave/ All I needed for another day/ And all I ever knew – only you/.“
This indie-inspired song with heartfelt lyrics speaks of love and the special bond between couples, which aligns with the sentiments of a wedding ceremony.
2. “Walking on a Dream” by Empire of the Sun
Lyrics of Love: “/Never looking down, I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me/ Is it real now?/ Two people become one/.”
This song’s optimistic vibes boost the overall mood of your wedding reception, creating an aura of love and happiness.
3. “You Send Me” by Haley Reinhart
Lyrics of Love: “/ Now I find myself wanting /To marry you and take you home, whoa/.”
The beautiful song’s lyrics express a declaration of love and long-term devotion, making it suitable for your first dance.
4. “Could I Love You Any More” by Reneé Dominique feat. Jason Mraz
Lyrics of Love: “/ Finding you is like a miracle / Only this wonder remains / Could I love you any more?/”
The lyrics of this beautiful duet express appreciation, love, and deep affection towards your partner, reflecting the feelings shared at the wedding ceremony.
5. “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver
Lyrics of Love: “/Come on, skinny love, just last the year/ Pour a little salt, we were never here/.”
Iver’s “Skinny Love” song embraces the highs and lows of love making it a poignant choice for an indie wedding songs playlist.
6. “Rhythm of Love” by Plain White T’s
Lyrics of Love: “/We may only have tonight/ But till the morning sun, you’re mine/ All mine/”
With lighthearted lyrics, this upbeat song conveys a central message of the joy of being in love and sharing precious moments with your partner.
7. “Better Together” by Us the Duo
Lyrics of Love: “/I’ll tell you one thing/ It’s always better when we’re together/”
The song lyrics showcase how beautiful and intense love is when shared. Its upbeat and cheerful melody makes it perfect for recessional and first-dance indie wedding songs.
8. “Honeybee” by The Head and The Heart
Love Lyrics: “/So many reasons I would fight to stay / You’re the courage when I fade / Take a look at what we’ve made/.”
The song conveys a message of devotion and love, making it perfect for the processional, first dance, or as a background song at the reception.
9. “I Will Follow You into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie
Lyrics of Love: “/If there’s no one beside you when your soul embarks/ Then I’ll follow you into the dark/.“
This indie song explores the theme of endless love and commitment, and it’s best suited for moments such as vow exchange at a wedding.
10. “All I Want Is You” by Barry Louis Polisar
Lyrics of Love: “/All I want is you, will you be my bride/ Take me by the hand and stand by my side?/”
This song’s quirky and heartfelt lyrics create a delightful atmosphere making it the perfect piece for couples who want to inject a bit of playfulness into their wedding.
11. “Anyone Else But You” by The Moldy Peaches
Lyrics of Love: “/I don’t see what anyone can see In anyone else but you/.”
This indie folk song with lighthearted lyrics conveys a sense of camaraderie between two people. Its playful tone adds a touch of fun to your wedding celebration.
12. “Two Becoming One” by Jonathan and Emily Martin
Lyrics of Love: “/Here’s my hand It’s yours to hold/ I give myself to you/”
This romantic and beautiful song speaks about the intimacy and unity of marriage.
13. “Saw You in a Dream” by The Japanese House
Lyrics of Love: “/I saw you in a dream/ You came to me/ You were the sweetest apparition, such a pretty vision/.”
The song’s dreamlike sounds can create a romantic atmosphere. Its lyrics talk about longing, love, and the surreal nature of dreams.
14. “Poetry” by Wrabel
Lyrics of Love: “/I see poetry in your eyes/You’re the only reason we rhyme/.”
The song’s lyrics convey the idea of love that surpasses words, comparing it with the depth and beauty of poetry.
15. “The Luckiest” by Ben Folds
Lyrics of Love: “/That I first saw your lovely face?/ Now I see it every day/ And I know/ That I am/ I am/ I am/ The luckiest/.”
“The Luckiest” is a heartfelt and sentimental song that can resonate with you and your guests due to its emotional and sincere expression of love.
16. “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey
Lyrics of Love: /”It’s you, it’s you, it’s all for you/Everything I do/”
This song’s dreamy sound can add a sense of interoception and melancholy to specific wedding moments.
17. “Dying Day” by Brandi Carlile
Lyrics of Love: “/How I miss you and I just want to kiss you/And I’m gonna love you ’til my dying day/”
This song reflects the commitment and the idea of standing by each other through ups and downs.
18. “I’ll Follow You” by Jon McLaughlin
Lyrics of Love: “/As long as you’re around I’ll follow you/You won’t ever be alone/”
This song portrays a sense of deep commitment. It is best suited for your first dance.
19. “Tongue Tied” by Grouplove
Lyrics of Love: “/I loved you then, and I love you now/”
This song’s energetic melody will uplift the mood and get you and your guests dancing at your wedding reception.
20. “Oh, It Is Love” by Hellogoodbye
Lyrics of Love: “/Oh, it is love/From the first time I set my eyes upon yours/Thinking, ‘Oh, is it love?/”
This indie pop song’s upbeat tune adds a lighthearted atmosphere to your wedding celebration.
21. “Grow Old With Me” by Tom Odell
Lyrics of Love: “/Grow old with me/Let us share what we see/And oh the best it could be/.”
The song entails the essence of endless love, which aligns with the sentiments celebrated at weddings.
22. “How Long Will I Love You” by Ellie Goulding
Lyrics of Love: “/How long will I love you/As long as stars are above you/”
This song’s central message of enduring love can resonate with you and your guests, creating a shared connection.
23. “No One’s Gonna Love You” by Band of Horses
Lyrics of Love: “/And no one is ever gonna love you more than I do/No one’s gonna love you more than I do/”
This indie rock song is an excellent addition to indie wedding songs as it expresses the emotional complexities of love.
24. “Marry Me” by Train
Lyrics of Love: “/Feel like I am close enough to you/You wear white, and I’ll wear out the words I love you/.“
This song directly addresses the concept of marriage and commitment, making it an excellent choice for your indie wedding song playlist.
25. “Wedding Bell” by Beach House
Lyrics of Love: “/I chose ya/You’re ringing the only wedding bell/ And we’re swimming the seas we know so well/.”
This song’s unique sound creates an ambiance with a sense of reflection and emotion best suited for cocktail hours.
26. “Overwhelmed” by Tim McMorris
Lyrics of Love: “/Cause nothing else here in the world can bring the happiness you bring/.”
The song encompasses how powerful deep connections are, making it perfect for couples who want to express the depth of their love.
27. “A Drop In The Ocean” by Ron Popel
Lyrics of Love: “/But I’m holding you closer than most ’cause you are my heaven/.”
The theme of this song is love making it easy to engage wedding guests, evoking shared emotions.
28. “Shelter” by Ray LaMontagne
Lyrics of Love: “/All I want is you, will you be my bride/ Take me by the hand and stand by my side/”
This song’s lyrics express the couple’s commitment to providing care, support, and protection for each other as they start their new chapter. It is best played during vow exchange or the first dance.
29. “I Will Spend My Whole Life Loving You” by Imaginary Future & Kina Grannis
Lyrics of Love: “/I’ve been counting my stars / Cause I will spend my whole life / Loving you/.”
This song’s beautiful lyrics, vocals, and sound will surely make you twirl around with your partner.
30. “Just You and I” by Tom Walker
Lyrics of Love: “/And I know, I can tell you anything / You won’t judge, you’re just listening /’Cause you’re the best thing that ever happened to me.”
The song entails the power of love and a sense of unity. Its catchy melody will encourage guests to join the newlyweds on the dance floor.
11 Indie Songs to Avoid for Your Wedding Songs Playlist
- Breezeblocks – Alt-J. It is a love song, yes. But it is a song about loving somebody you desire so much that you want to hurt yourself or them. Yikes!
- Brick – Ben Folds Five. It may or may not be a song about abortion. But the piano parts are really awesome. Try Ben Folds’ “The Luckiest” instead (check out our 20 Best Indie Songs to Walk Down the Aisle To section in this post).
- Cherry Wine – Hozier. It’s a song about domestic abuse. If you have to pick a Hozier song, go for their “Take Me to Church.” You’re welcome.
- Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now – The Smiths. Sure, The Smiths’ singer Morrissey seems like a guy who’s always miserable, but even his singing in “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” (it is included in our 11 Best First Dance Indie Wedding Songs list earlier) is so lovely and sweet. But be sure to stay away from the Morrissey tune “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” (goodness, just look at its title).
- Ho Hey – The Lumineers. Three cheers for The Lumineers! But beware of this song’s line: “I don’t think you’re right for him, look at what might have been.” Skip the Lumineers and choose Mumford & Sons instead. You can’t go wrong with their “There Will Be Time.”
- I Love You – Billie Eilish. The title is super romantic, but it is actually a song about a couple with a complicated relationship.
- Let It Go – James Bay. James Bay’s Hold Back the River is a good choice for a wedding processional song (we included it in our 15 Indie Wedding Processional Songs list), but please stay away from the singer’s “Let It Go” which is actually a break-up song.
- Marry Me – Thomas Rhett. Don’t be fooled by its title! The song features a couple who question their love and commitment for each other. Instead, go for the singer’s “Blessed” (see our 15 Indie Wedding Processional Songs list).
- Meant to Be – Ber featuring Charlie Oriain. Never mind the title. Just look at its lyrics – “I think you’re the one for someone else, and that stuff’s hard to say.” Ouch.
- Most Beautiful Girl In The Room – Flight of the Conchords. The title is sweet and all. But beware of the lyrics: “You could be a part-time model, I can see you at an auto show dancing on a car.”
- The Scientist – Coldplay. “It’s such a shame for us to part.” Yeah, it is a break-up song. But it won’t be a shame for you to part with this song on your wedding day. Instead, go for “Yellow” or “Magic.”
Now you are equipped with some unforgettable indie wedding songs for your wedding day. You can pick anything – be it the classics of the yesteryears or contemporary wedding songs. Either way, indie songs will give your wedding a magical touch.
Still have questions? Check out my FAQs below!
What does indie stand for in music?
In the world of music, you may often come across the word “indie”. This word stands for “independent” – and independent music means music that is released independently, without the involvement of financial dependence on any major music label. It isn’t a genre of songs.
What is a good indie wedding song?
If you are a fan of indie songs, there are many options for you. You can try some beautiful romantic tracks such as Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun, True Love Waits by Radiohead, Falling for You by Ellie Goulding, Saw You in a Dream by The Japanese House, and many more.
What indie song is played most at weddings?
Indie songs are particularly known for their uniqueness and creativity, and wedding bands and DJs are often asked to play them. Some indie songs that are commonly played at weddings are Sea of Love by Cat Power, Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips, Yellow by Coldplay, and more.
What are some popular indie rock wedding songs?
Rock songs might seem odd at wedding ceremonies – but many couples love the genre, especially when the songs are independently released. Your wedding playlist can have songs like Toothless Kisses by The Maccabees, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, Grow Old with Me by Tom Odell etc.
What are some popular indie father-daughter dance songs?
When the bride and her father share the dance floor, it is a moment when no pair of eyes can remain dry. For this moment, you can choose indie songs like My Darling by Wilco, Sea of Love by Cat Power, We’re All In The Dance by Feist, There Will Be Time by Mumford & Sons, and many more
These indie songs will surely add creativity and uniqueness to the ceremony. So talk to your wedding DJ or band, and make sure that they incorporate these beautiful tracks!
What are your favorite indie songs for weddings? Let us know in the comments below!
Deanna has a knack for finding unique vacation destinations. She regularly puts her research skills into action to find the most amazing LGBTQ-friendly honeymoon ideas.