Looking for fun second wedding gift ideas for a couple?
Wondering if you’re even supposed to give a gift for a second marriage?
Below, we’ll go over a few basic etiquette tip!
Then I’ll share some of my favorite ideas for you to consider!
Second Wedding Gift Etiquette
If you were to ask about second wedding gift ideas back in, say, the 50s, the answer would probably be “your presence is all the gift they need.”
Of course, back then it was almost unspeakable to get a divorce, even if you were in a really horrible loveless marriage.
Today, with more and more people marrying a second (or 3rd, 4th, or in Elizabeth Taylor’s case, millionth time), second wedding gift etiquette is a lot different.
We realize that sometimes marriages just don’t work out, and we’re (hopefully) past the point of scorning those who choose to get out of them.
We’re also (hopefully) at a point where we realize that all couples deserve to be celebrated, regardless of whether it’s their first or 5th wedding!
So while Miss Manners-style etiquette dictates that a gift isn’t required for a second wedding, I say it’s rude to show up empty-handed!
In other words, a gift may not be a requirement, but it’s still nice to give one.
The big question now, of course, becomes “what are appropriate wedding gifts for a second marriage?”
To that, I say: it depends! On what? Keep reading to find out!
Is it a second wedding or second marriage?
There’s a big difference between a vow renewal between an existing couple and a totally new union between two people.
In the case of a vow renewal, gifts really aren’t even expected, but again, they’re still a nice touch.
Chances are you’ve already given the couple a practical wedding gift, so this time, Nina Callaway of The Spruce recommends opting for a sentimental gift rather than a practical one.
You could give them a beautifully framed photo from their first wedding, for example.
For couples renewing their vows on an anniversary, Callaway suggests following tradition and getting them a gift that reflects that anniversary.
In other words, if it’s their 15th anniversary, opt for something made with crystal. A 20th anniversary/wedding gift should be made of china. For their 50th, gold.
On the other hand, if it’s a totally new union between two people who haven’t been married to each other before, the “rules” are a bit different.
First, if the couple has a registry, try to stick to that. Again, couples make registries for a reason!
If they don’t have one, go with either the super generic (yet practical) or the super unique.
By “generic,” I mean gift cards or cash, something that couples can never have too much of!
A unique gift is something that reflects their personality and that they very likely don’t have (because, by definition of “unique,” no one has it!).
For example, for an LGBT couple, you could get them one of these great personalized lesbian wedding gifts.
Is it a second marriage for BOTH halves of the couple?
The other thing to consider is whether it’s a second marriage for both halves of the couple.
When my dear friend got married recently, it was his second wedding, but her first.
Now, some would say, “well, you’re on his ‘side’ of the wedding, you don’t need to give a gift!”
How fair is that to her, though? Should they only get gifts from her “side” of the guest list?
Doesn’t she deserve to be celebrated, to have the full “first wedding” experience?
I say yes, she does!
So, while Miss Manners and such may say that if either part of the couple has been married before, you don’t need to bring a gift, I say if one of them hasn’t, treat it like a first wedding.
In any of the cases, as far as a second wedding gift amount goes, it’s up to you. If your budget only allows for a small token gift, that’s fine.
If you want to spend a billion bucks on the ultimate wedding gift (and you know such an elaborate gift won’t make the couple uncomfortable), that’s fine too.
Now that we’ve covered “official” basic etiquette (as well as my version of it), let’s get to the good part!
Below, you’ll find some of my picks for fun second wedding gift ideas!
Fun Second Wedding Gifts Ideas
I’ve tried to choose a fairly wide range of ideas, ranging from sentimental to somewhat practical to things everyone wants but never asks for!
That way, all types of second weddings are covered. 🙂
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. “Back in the Day” Gift for a Vow Renewal
Although this is advertised as a birthday gift, I think it makes a neat idea for a vow renewal!
You give the seller their original wedding date, then you’ll receive a fun printout of all the things that were happening that year.
It doesn’t come with a frame, though, so you’ll need to grab one. I like this one!
This one works great for any type of second wedding. If it’s a vow renewal, choose the date of their first wedding.
For a new marriage, go with their current wedding date, the day they met, or the day the got engaged.
3. Personalized Couple Dolls
If you have a decent budget, these dolls are adorable and super unique.
They’re one of my favorite LGBT second wedding gift ideas, but the artist can make them for any couple.
Just give yourself plenty of time, as they take about a month to make.
4. Willow Tree Family Sculpture/Frame
For couples blending two families together (or for a vow renewal), this shadow box sculpture frame (I really have no idea what to call it) is a fun and beautiful idea!
The artist also offers silver and other options for different anniversaries.
5. Match Made Craft Coffee Subscription
Coffee-loving couples can never have too much Joe. Heck, I can never have too much of it, and I’m single!
Each month, they’ll get two coffees and two cookies that are basically a “match made” in paradise.
Not only does this gift keep giving for months to come, the whole concept of a “perfect pairing” is what weddings are all about!
6. Resin Art Placemats
Forget the couple, get these for me! Aren’t they just gorgeous? Who knew placemats could be such a thing of beauty?
Each one is decorated by hand, so no two are the same, making it a truly unique gift.
7. World Travel Map Print
This personalized world map is a great idea for travel bugs!
Choose between a ton of color options for the print, then add on markers so they can track their journey around the world.
You can even change the “I’ll Go Anywhere With You” text to something else.
8. Frozen Yogurt & Ice Cream Maker
I wanted an ice-cream maker for like a decade before I finally got one.
It’s just one of those things that you wish for when you’re craving homemade ice cream, then forget to buy.
I love this one by Cuisinart because it’s fully automatic, looks great, and doesn’t take up a ton of space.
- Fully automatic frozen yogurt, sorbet, and ice cream maker. Dimensions (LXWXH) : 8.25 x 8.00 x 11.25 inches
- Brushed stainless-steel housing; heavy-duty motor. BPA Free
- Large ingredient spout for easily adding favorite mix-ins
- Double-insulated 2-quart freezer bowl; instruction book and recipes included
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards.Cord storage, keeps countertops clutter free
9. Personalized Wood Clock
Sure, everyone just looks at their phone to tell the time, but I still love the idea of a gorgeous wall clock.
This one is perfect for those who adore rustic decor. Personalize it with their names and the date of their wedding.
It comes in two different sizes.
10. A Really Great Gift Basket
If the couple doesn’t really need anything for their home, consider giving them a fun gift basket filled with things they love and that they can share together.
One idea that I adore, a classy basket filled with gourmet goodies.
They can take it on a nature hike, head to their favorite park, or just save it for a rainy day and have a “picnic in bed.”
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee from Wine Country Gift Baskets. Making memories by giving a Wine Country Gift Baskets gift is an easy thing. We've been manufacturing and selling value-priced, quality food and wine gift baskets to consumers and businesses for over 30 years.
- The Connoisseur Gift Basket offers a wide variety of snacks and tea to satisfy your taste buds
- What better way to spread joy than with some freshly brewed Ahmad English tea and a gift basket loaded with hummus, cookies, crackers and more? The Connoisseur is our go-to gift for families, friends and clients, a clear sign of thoughtful generosity and thanks.
- Ahmad English Tea (1.4oz) Naan Crisps (2.5oz) Cracked Peppercorn Crackers (2.5oz) Glacier Ridge Farms Bacon & Cheddar Cheese Spread (3.5oz) Ciao Italia Mini Ritelle Cranberry & Sesame Cookies (3.52oz) Brown Sugar Butter Cookie (0.88oz) Dark Chocolate Almond Toffee (2pc) Godiva White Chocolate Truffles (2pc) Hummus (3oz) Socado Tiramisu Milk Chocolate Truffles (2pc) Yves Thuries Dark Chocolate Ganache Truffles (2pc) Olives (3.5oz) Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate w/Caramel Square (1pc) Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate w/Caramel Square (1pc)
- Gift Dimensions - 17 in. x 7 in. x 4 in.(total stacked height) This unique gift idea is an attractive addition to any occasion and can stand on its own without taking the spotlight from the recipient’s special day.
Other great second wedding gift ideas
If none of the above catches your eye, some other broader ideas include:
- Gift cards to local restaurants, wineries, etc.
- Certificates for couples classes (like ballroom dancing, couples’ cooking, etc).
- A subscription to a meal delivery service if neither of them likes to cook.
- Other subscription boxes based on their interests.
- Money! Hey, you can never go wrong with that one!
What are some of your favorite fun second wedding gift ideas? Share below!
Last update on 2019-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API