Pop the question to your best pals and make sure they want to say yes with these 5 fabulous bridesmaid proposal ideas!
When it comes to choosing your bridesmaids for your wedding, it’s key to have friends and family that you can count on to lend a hand when you need it – whether during the wedding preparations or on the big day itself.
Surrounding yourself with a group of ladies who you adore and trust can make your wedding day even more spectacular than you imagined!
11 Fabulous Bridesmaid Proposal Ideas She’ll Love
#1 Proposal Box
What better way to ask your bridesmaids to be a part of your special day than with a beautiful DIY box of memories?
You can include a lovely handmade note asking your ladies to be part of your special day; a delicious bottle of your favorite wine to drink together the next time you have a girl’s night in; a small calendar marking the date of the wedding; anything else that you feel is significant to your relationship with your future bridesmaids.
#2 Card Or Poster
Perhaps you’d prefer to print a wonderfully creative or hilarious card, note, or poster asking your bridesmaids to be part of your special day. If you can come up with something silly or thoughtful to go along with your proposal idea, why not print it on some beautiful cardstock paper designed by a talented graphic artist?
#3 Coordinate With Restaurant Staff
You can always coordinate with the staff at a restaurant when you go out to eat with your bridesmaids. Something as simple as a personalized card tucked inside the bill jacket delivered to your potential bridesmaids popping the question is a wonderful surprise!
#4 Keep It Personal
If you and your friends have special traditions together, why not incorporate those same traditions into your bridesmaid’s proposal? If you enjoy binge-watching the Bachelorette together with snacks and wine, why not serve a special bottle of wine with a personalized label on it, asking your buds to be your bridesmaids?
There are really no limits to how you can pop the question, you just need a little creativity!
#5 Customized Gifts
I love the idea of giving a personalized gift, like the Starbucks mugs, as a bridesmaid proposal. The key is to get something she already uses and make it extra special.
That way, every time she drinks coffee, she’ll remember how honored she felt when you asked her to be your bridesmaid! If you want to make it even more awesome, include the coffee!!
#6 Do It on Game Night (In-person or virtually)
Game nights are always fun and a good time to connect with our close friends as well as enjoy a little wine.
And if you can’t access them due to the pandemic, you can do it online too. So, the idea is to buy them a puzzle and let them put the message together.
The seller will personalize each girl’s puzzle with their name. If the bride’s maid name is Sylvia, once the puzzle is complete, it will read; Sylvia, will you be my bridesmaid?
Order the puzzle on Amazon
- YOU HAVE GREAT TASTE – Elegant watercolor artwork and beautiful floral details printed high-quality paper; measuring 5×7 inches and 3×5 inches for the single Favorite Memory card set. A beautiful game pack to match your rustic bridal shower decorations and party favors! Your bride-to-be and guests are going to gush over these designs, and you chose them, yep!
- MEANINGFUL KEEPSAKES – Not just another set of pretty papers, but tangible memories the bride can keep and re-read years from now. She will be laughing at funny quotes her bridesmaids wrote in the Bridal Mad Libs Advice or reminiscing on a Favorite Memory.
- ENTERTAINING GAMES FOR GUESTS – Bridal wedding games that are easy, non-cheesy, and engaging for guests to win prizes; creating a nice flow for your special event! Promised to be a hit with both intimate or large coed parties—Game sheets available for up to 50 guests.
#7 Proposal Macarons for the Foodies
Most foodies don’t really cook so this would work so well for them. And who doesn’t want themselves some macarons anyway? No one.
And you don’t have to do it yourself, I found you an amazing seller who will do everything for you. Her macarons are very cute and carefully wrapped to get to you in good condition. And if you’re not ready to give your bridesmaid immediately, you can freeze them.
Order on Amazon.
- 12 Elegant Delicious Macaron cookies perfect for valentine
- Fresh & delicate delicious 12 flavors
- NOT A GLUTEN FREE PRODUCT
#8 Give them a Shout Out
You can either get a celebrity to call your friends and ask them to be your bridesmaids or send a request to a local radio station.
To save up on cost, instead of having the celebrity call each of your friends, you can plan the call when you’re all together. You can do a zoom call and give the celebrity the link too.
For the radio shout-out, you can simply ask the girls to tune in.
#9 Bridesmaid Robes
One of the common bridal shower activities includes spa day. I mean, what better way to spend your last day single with your girls than getting pedicures, facial, and manicures?
So, a bridesmaid robe is a good idea, and it will later cut on your bridal shower cost.
The seller will customize every robe with each girl’s name. I always advise people who choose this method to accompany it with a sweet or silly message or card with the question.
Buy the robes on Amazon.
- Sufficient Quantity: you will get a total of 5 pieces of robes, namely, 1 piece of bride robe and 4 pieces of bridesmaid robes, ample quantity and bright colors can satisfy your various needs, you can also share them with your family members and friends
- Embroidery ‘bride’ and ‘bridesmaid’: the bride and bridesmaids robes sets are embroidered with words ‘Bride’ and ‘Bridesmaid’ on the back, and the words’ color is golden, which is exquisite and emerge three-dimensional effect, with meticulous stitching and nice workmanship, not easy to fray, suitable for bridal party, wedding night, anniversary, honeymoon, vacation, or daily life
- Soft Material: the white bride robes are made of polyester material, soft, breathable, and lightweight, with smooth tactility, will not make you feel uncomfortable and irritate your delicate skin, which will provide women comfy wearing experience
#10 Bridesmaid Proposal Mask
Well, we are trying to adjust with times, and incorporate the new measures we have to take on our big days.
It’s important that you ensure your loved ones are safe during any ceremony. So, in light of that, you can send your bridesmaids masks with the label, Bridesmaid as a proposal.
Buy the mask from Amazon.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bachelorette Party Floral Sleep Mask Designs! The Bridesmaids will love this keepsake party favor!
- SIZE: One Size Fits Most. These fun masks are 3″x 8″ and come with an adjustable band.
- A BACHELORETTE PARTY SHE FORGET! Click “Add to Cart” now! These Bachelorette Party favor sleep masks are the perfect gift to add to the goody bags.
#11 Bridesmaid Scratch Card Idea
If your bridesmaids love playing the lottery then they’ll love this. I’m a curious person, and I love a little mystery, so this is on top of my list.
It’s also very fairy priced, so it’s among the cute ways to ask bridesmaids to be in your wedding at a friendly cost.
The cards have a golden heart in the middle and once you scratch it off, there is the big question.
You can personalize every scratch card to read a person’s name. Buy the bridesmaid scratch card ideas on Amazon.
- Unique Scratch-Off Design: Each card features a large gold scratch-off heart, adding a touch of excitement and surprise to your bridesmaid proposal
- Elegant Floral Theme: Beautifully adorned with floral designs, these wedding invitation cards offer a charming and stylish way to ask your girls to be part of your special day
- Personalized Touch: Customize each card with the name and wedding role of your bridesmaids, whether it's Maid of Honor, Matron of Honor, Flower Girl, or Personal Attendant
Here are some of the common questions regarding bridesmaid proposals.
How many bridesmaids is considered normal?
There is no strict rule that limits the number of people you choose to be your bridesmaid. On average, however, most brides opt to have 4 to 6 bridesmaids. There are some women who even go higher than 10 bridesmaids.
Also, you do not need to match the number of bridesmaids you have to the groomsmen.
Is there an age limit to being a bridesmaid?
No, there is no age limit to being a bridesmaid. The traditional practice is that women who are deemed to be of marrying age can be a bridesmaid. But today, this is no longer a strict practice.
Some women in their late 30s or early 40s may even jump at the opportunity to have a special role in your wedding and be a bridesmaid. If you are getting married, you should choose your closest friends to be your bridesmaids without worrying about their age.
Does your fiancé’s sister need to be a bridesmaid?
You don’t automatically need to ask your fiancé’s sister to be your bridesmaid just because of that role. But if you are close with her and treat her like a friend, you can include her in the entourage.
You have to remember that it is your wedding day and you need to be surrounded by people who are genuinely and truly ecstatic for you and your fiancé.
Can you have a bridesmaid who is already married?
Based on tradition, women pick out their close friends or relatives to be their bridesmaids if they are unwed and are of marriageable age. But this practice is not really a strict one. You can pick your married friends and have them stand by your side as a bridesmaid.
If your maid of honor is married, however, she is to be called the matron of honor.
Is it okay to have two maids of honor?
Yes, there is no reason why you should pick only one friend to be your maid of honor, especially if you are close friends with two women. It can also be a big help for your wedding day since you get to have two women who can help you out while you get ready.
What is a bridesmaid proposal box?
A bridesmaid proposal box is a box that contains special items that a bride and bridesmaids can relate to.
It can be photos reminding them of their friendship journey that ends with a note asking friends to be bridesmaids. Or goodies like spa materials.
It’s simply a special package that a bride sends out to close friends asking them to be her bridesmaid. It works best when what’s inside is something sentimental and well thought off. A DIY wins in this case.
What should be included in a bridesmaid proposal?
You can include anything for your bridesmaid proposal. It really depends on the relationship you have with your friends and your budget. It can be something silly like a card with a stupid message, some donuts with the message, or a gift. Don’t limit yourself, let your imagination run wild.
How much should I spend on a bridesmaid proposal?
It really depends on your wedding budget. But you have to keep in mind that your bridesmaid will be spending a lot on your wedding too.
They’ll probably buy you a gift, they might contribute to your bridal shower and they’ll spend on the outfit for the wedding too.
If this is the case, the bridesmaid proposal should be anywhere between $75-$150. You want it to be a little extravagant.
That said, the pandemic has made virtual weddings popular, and your bridesmaids may not need to spend a lot. In that case, a proposal can be $20 because they may not need new clothes or spending on air tickets to get where you are ( that’s if you really need bridesmaids).
When should brides send out their bridesmaid proposals?
Being a bridesmaid means setting aside time for the wedding, bridal shower, and other wedding-related activities. It also requires them to save up for the expenses that come with being a bridesmaid. So, it’s important to send out requests between 8-12 months to give them enough time to plan.
How do you ask someone to be your bridesmaid long distance?
There are multiple ways to ask friends who are far from you to be your bridesmaid. You can send them a card, or design a digital card and send them via email.
You can also hold a virtual girl’s night and ask your friends.
My favorite idea is to do something special on a skype meeting. For example, you can write the message on a piece of paper giving a story that ends up with asking your friends to be your bridesmaid.
This is always a great surprise because it’s hard to guess where the bride is going with the message.
Here’s one thing you have to remember: bridesmaid proposals are not essential, but they are a nice-to-have bonus for your friends. The memory alone can be exciting to them, especially if you are the first in your circle of friends to get married.
But if your wedding budget can no longer accommodate a bridesmaid proposal box, you don’t have to stress over it. Your friends will be happy to be part of your bridesmaids list whether they get a proposal box or not.
I hope you enjoyed my list of bridesmaid’s proposal ideas. What are some of your favorite bridesmaid proposal ideas?
I’m a freelance journalist/writer/content marketer with BA Hons in Journalism.
Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API