There are so many different things that you need to consider and decide for your wedding day.
So many of these decisions are major and can take weeks of preparation and planning whereas others are quicker but no less important.
One of those decisions that can be quick but often take too long is deciding on the song for your first dance.
The first dance only lasts a few minutes and requires no complicated planning, but that doesn’t mean it’s an easy decision to make!
If you’re struggling to find the best song for your first dance and need some ideas, then this article is for you.
Choosing the perfect first dance song is important because it sets the tone for the rest of the reception and creates a memorable moment for the newlyweds.
With so many great options available, it can be overwhelming, but taking the time to find the right song will make the first dance unforgettable.
We have 170 of the best first dance wedding songs that you’re sure to love.
We’ve picked a wide variety of different songs from many different eras and genres so whatever your tastes are, they’re sure to be something for you.
Let’s get started!
Classic Wedding Songs That Stand The Test of Time
There are a group of songs that are always great picks for first dance wedding songs. These are classic songs that have stood the test of time and will still be used at weddings in decades to come.
If you don’t have a specific song in mind and music isn’t really your expertise, then these are all safe choices that you can pick.
- At Last by Etta James
- Always On My Mind by Elvis Presley
- Can’t Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli
- Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra
- How Deep Is Your Love by The Bee Gees
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by James Taylor
- It Had to Be You by Harry Connick Jr.
- Nothing Compares To You by Sinead O’Connor
- True by Spandau Ballet
- Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
- Unforgettable by Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole
- The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra
- What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
- When a Man Loves a Woman by Percy Sledge
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
- Your Song by Elton John
The Best First Dance Songs From The 80s
The 80s were a decade of big hair, bright colors, and many fantastic songs. So many love songs from the 80s are still popular today and are regularly used as first dance wedding songs.
Whether you’re looking for something romantic or something New Romantic, you’ll find it in the 80s!
- Careless Whisper by George Michael
- Crazy For You by Madonna
- Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie
- Eternal Flame by The Bangles
- Faithfully by Journey
- Heaven by Bryan Adams
- In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- I Want to Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- Jack & Diane by John Mellencamp
- The Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh
- Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
- Open Arms by Journey
- The Power of Love by Huey Lewis & The News
- The Promise by When in Rome
- Purple Rain by Prince
- Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
- Take My Breath Away by Berlin
- Time After Time by Cindy Lauper
- Total Eclipse of My Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- Two Hearts by Phil Collins
- Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
- Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton
- You’re the Inspiration by Chicago
The Best First Dance Songs From the 90s
Now let’s move into the 1990s with some songs from this decade. If you hit your teens or your 20s during this decade then you may want to choose a song from the 90s for your first dance.
- All My Life by K-Ci & JoJo
- Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams
- From This Moment On by Shania Twain
- Hero by Mariah Carey
- I’ll Be by Edwin McCain
- I Knew I Loved You by Savage Garden
- I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys
- Kiss From a Rose by Seal
- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
- Take a Bow by Madonna
- Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden
- You and Me by the Wannadies
The Best New First Dance Songs
Although you can never go wrong with the classics, there are just as many fantastic first dance songs from the last few years that you can choose.
You don’t have to choose something more traditional and by picking a newer song, you stand a better chance of having a unique first dance song that your guests have never heard at a wedding before.
- All of Me by John Legend
- A Moment Like This by Kelly Clarkson
- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
- Everything by Michael Bublé
- Everything Has Changed by Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran
- I Am Yours by Andy Grammar
- I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz
- Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
- Love by Lana Del Rey
- Love Story by Taylor Swift
- Lovesong by Adele
- Perfect Duet by Ed Sheeran and Beyoncé
- Say You Won’t Let Me Go by James Arthur
- Shallow by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
- Still Into You by Paramore
- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
- You and Me by Dave Matthews Band
- You’re Beautiful by James Blunt
- Your Song by Ellie Goulding
- You’ve Got the Love by Florence + the Machine
Top Country First Dance Songs
They say that there is a country song for every occasion and this is definitely true when it comes to wedding songs!
Country songs are great at telling a story and capturing specific emotions so consider what you want to say with your choice of first dance song and there is sure to be the perfect country song for you.
- Amazed by Lonestar
- Better Together by Luke Combs
- Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts
- Change Your Name by Brett Young
- God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton
- Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
- Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
- This Kiss by Faith Hill
- My Best Friend by Tim McGraw
- Speechless by Dan + Shay
- Then by Brad Paisley
- You’re Still the One by Shania Twain
- Yours by Russell Dickerson
Top Rock First Dance Songs
Pop songs and ballads may be the most popular first dance wedding songs but they’re not to everybody’s tastes.
If you prefer some guitars in your music, then there are a large number of rock songs that you can choose for your first dance song instead.
Whether you like indie, rock, or alternative, these songs maybe for you.
- Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows
- All I Want Is You by U2
- All My Love by Led Zeppelin
- All You Need Is Love by The Beatles
- Always by Bon Jovi
- Can’t Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
- Crazy Love by Van Morrison
- Drops Of Jupiter by Train
- Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
- Forever by KISS
- Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
- I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness
- I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
- I’ll Be There For You by Bon Jovi
- I’ll Stand By You by The Pretenders
- I’m With You by Avril Lavigne
- Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel
- Keep on Loving You by REO Speedwagon
- Lovefool by The Cardigans
- Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
- November Rain by Guns n’ Roses
- Romeo and Juliet by The Killers
- She’s So Lovely by Scouting For Girls
- Somewhere Only We Know by Keane
- Us Against the World by Coldplay
- You’re My Best Friend by Queen
Top R&B And Motown First Dance Songs
Another great category for first dance wedding songs is R&B.
Motown and R&B have provided some of the most romantic and smoothest love songs ever recorded and choosing one for your first dance would be perfect if this is your favorite type of music.
Your guests are sure to love your choice if you pick a song from this list!
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You by Lauryn Hill
- Conversations in the Dark by John Legend
- Forever My Lady by Jodeci
- Halo by Beyoncé
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by Marvin Gaye
- If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys
- I’ll Be There by Jackson 5
- Let’s Stay Together by Al Green
- Make It Last Forever by Keith Sweat
- No One by Alicia Keys
- Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder
- Spend My Life with You by Eric Benét and Tamia
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
- Why I Love You by MAJOR.
- You Are The Sunshine Of My Life by Stevie Wonder
- You’re the First, the Last, My Everything by Barry White
- You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me by The Miracles
Top Acoustic First Dance Songs
There is something very beautiful about an acoustic song.
They’re often more simple than other songs that feature a wider variety of instruments and this makes their melodies and lyrics even more poignant.
If you’re looking for a meaningful song that is slow and gentle, then why not choose an acoustic song?
- A Thousand Years by Jasmine Thompson
- Better Together by Us the Duo
- Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer
- Maybe I’m Amazed by Paul McCartney
- More Than Words by Extreme
- Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver
- Time After Time by Iron and Wine
- True Colors by Justin Timberlake & Anna Kendrick
- You’re The One That I Want by Julia Stone and Angus
The Best Novelty And Fun First Dance Songs
Although the first dance at a wedding is seen as deep and meaningful by most married couples, it doesn’t mean that you have to see it in that manner.
If you’d rather have some fun and start your married life by laughing with your new spouse, you can choose a song that is a little more unusual and fun.
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
- Grow Old With Me by Tom Odell
- Grow Old With You by Adam Sandler
- I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Branches
- I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor by Arctic Monkeys
- Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
- We Go Together by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
The Best Romantic First Dance Songs
Weddings are all about romance so it only makes sense that many popular first dance wedding songs are full of romance.
Choose a song that has lyrics that reflect the love between yourself and your partner and you’re sure to have a memorable first dance together.
- At Your Best (You Are Love) by Aaliyah
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John
- Endless Love by Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack
- I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
- The Look of Love by Dusty Springfield
- Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding
- The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush
- Thank You For Loving Me by Bon Jovi
- The Wonder of You by Elvis Presley
- You Give Me Something by James Morrison
The Best Upbeat And Lively First Dance Songs
Although it is more traditional for the first dance at a wedding to be a slow ballad, that doesn’t mean you have to choose a song in this style.
It’s your wedding and your choice so if you’d rather boogie than sway, pick something with a faster beat and do things your way!
- Ain’t Nobody by Chaka Khan
- Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet
- Could You be Loved by Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Crazy in Love by Beyonce ft. Jay Z
- Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader
- Friday I’m in Love by The Cure
- Happy by Pharrell
- It Must Be Love by Madness
- Love on Top by Beyoncé
- Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
- We Found Love by Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris
- You’re My First, the Last, My Everything by Barry White
- You’re The One That I Want by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
Top Tips For Your First Dance
Before we finish this article, we have a few last hints and tips you need to know for your first dance.
Usually, the first dance starts off the reception part of the wedding day as it fits very naturally into this space.
The newly married couple is usually the last to enter the reception as they greet their guests on the way in and this means that all of the guests are seated and waiting for their arrival.
It’s easy to turn walking into the reception into walking onto the dancefloor and beginning the dance.
You won’t need to organize the guests and make them clear the dancefloor as they should naturally take their seats and keep the floor clear.
The first dance can feel a little awkward and don’t be worried if you feel self-conscious about it!
Many married couples feel nervous about having all of their guests watching them as they dance so you don’t need to have the entire duration of the song to yourselves.
You will need to start the dance alone, but after a couple of minutes, you can call the rest of the wedding party onto the dancefloor as well.
Just make sure that you give the photographer enough time to get some good photos of the two of you first.
You can also decide to just cut the song short and play something else halfway through instead of seeing the song to its natural end.
If you do plan on cutting things short, make sure you tell your photographer so they know that they only have a short timeframe to get their shots.
You should also let your photographer know if you have any special plans for your first dance.
Although most couples simply slow dance to the song, other couples might decide to have a little fun and have a more elaborate dance rehearsed.
If you have decided to do this, let your photographer know so that they can be in the right place to capture all of the action.
During the dance itself, try not to speak to each other too much if you want some great and natural-looking photos.
It’s very difficult to get nice photos of people when they’re in the middle of a conversation so give your photographer a chance by keeping the chatter to a minimum as much as you can.
Above all though, try to enjoy yourself! You only get one first dance and it only lasts a few minutes so enjoy the song you choose and the time spent with your new spouse.
Check out these other related posts for a memorable big day:
- 1990s Dance Songs For Your Wedding Reception
- Anniversary Dance Songs
- Last Dance Wedding Songs to Get Everyone Dancing
In this article, we listed the 170 best first dance wedding songs that you’re sure to love.
We included a wide variety of different songs including classics, country, rock, pop, R&B, ballads, and more upbeat songs from you to choose from.
Whether you’re looking for something new or old, something classic or something different, there is a first dance song here for you.
We hope you find your perfect song and have a wonderful wedding day!
Serena & Dominic are a married couple and parents to 3 wonderful children. They plan weddings, run multiple small businesses, and curate wedding events.
By giving you everything you need to make your dream wedding attainable, you can eliminate stress, get the ‘wedding glow,’ and focus on spending this rocking day with the person you adore. Discover their podcast for more information