Are you looking for the best engagement gifts for gay couples to help them celebrate their big news?
Wondering if you even need to buy an engagement gift at all?
I’ve got you covered on both counts!
Today, we’ll talk about basic engagement gift etiquette, then we’ll check out some of my favorite ideas for all budgets!
You may also love: Top 10 Best Bachelorette Party Gifts
Engagement Gift Etiquette: Do You Even Need to Buy One?
Do you need to buy an engagement gift? Well, by the strictest definition of the word “need,” no, of course not.
You need oxygen, water, food, sleep, and shelter. Everything beyond that is a should.
So, should you buy an engagement gift? Yes. No. Maybe. It really depends! On what? Why, I’m so glad you asked!
Basically, if you’re attending a super formal engagement party, then yes, you should bring a gift. It’s not a requirement but it’s still a nice gesture.
If it’s an impromptu party at the couple’s house or favorite bar, then no, you really don’t have to. However, again, it’s nice to at least bring a card.
A gift is always appreciated, though, so you can’t really go wrong with bringing one UNLESS the couple specifically requests no gifts.
In that case, respect their wishes and save the money to put towards a bigger wedding present.
Now that we have our incredibly vague answer to whether or not you need to bring a gift, let’s check out a few of my favorite ideas for all budgets.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
You will love these gay AND Lesbian wedding guest book
10 Best Engagement Gifts for Gay Couples
One quick note: while I’ve shared some of my favorite pride, Mr and Mr, or Mrs & Mrs engagement gifts below, don’t feel like you have to go with those options.
It’s odd (and borderline prejudiced) to assume that every LGBTQ+ couple wants rainbows, after all! That’s why I’m including a good mix of ideas!
The first five are specifically great engagement gifts for LGBTQ couples, while the last five are more general gifts.
Check out the tables for a quick peek, then keep reading for more details about each gift.
1. Gay Wedding Planner Book
Planners make brilliant engagement gifts (just make sure no one else is getting them one), and this one just for gay couples is super detailed!
The planner covers everything from setting budgets to finding the best vendors and more.
You can even personalize the names on the cover or add fun wedding planning stickers.
They also have one for two brides if you’re shopping for lesbian engagement gifts.
- Gender Neutral layout, perfect for all couples! Customized with Name or other Text.
- Every Aspect of Wedding Planning covered! Budgets, Checklists, Attire, Vendors, Guest lists, Registry and More!
- Your Choice of Hard Book cover with coil binding, or Synthetic Covers with coil binding.
- Large 8" x 11" size, portable and sturdy!
- 24 Month calendar section, Dated or Undated. Choose start month of calendar section.
2. Framed Map Art Heart LGBTQ Gift
I’ve recommended this beautiful framed map as a wedding gift, but it also makes a great engagement gift.
If you’re buying it to celebrate their engagement rather than the actual big day, I love the idea of honing in on the place & date they met (rather than where they’re getting married).
Customize the names, date, location, and frame style for the perfect personalized engagement gift.
3. Mrs. & Mrs. Laser Cut Wood Wedding Guestbook
I am so in love with this wooden book! It has to be one of my favorite Mrs. & Mrs. engagement gifts ever.
Wedding guests books are one of those gifts that you really should give before the big day (so they don’t go buy one themselves), which makes them so great for the engagement party.
You can customize the cover to add names for an extra fee (and admittedly, it’s a hefty extra fee but worth it).
4. Wedding Guest Signing Board
While guest books are something that end up tucked away in a treasure trunk somewhere, alternatives like this signing board are made to be displayed.
Of course, you will need to know the date of their wedding before ordering it, so it’s not the best gift for a “hey, we’re engaged, but have no idea when we’re actually getting married” party.
5. Funny His & His Glasses
One of my favorite things about engagement gifts is that you can get a little silly if you want!
These witty “Mr and Mr” glasses are a great example of a funny gift that’s still classy.
It’s up to the happy couple to decide who gets to be “Mr. Always Right!”
- Each design is handcrafted using a commercial grade vinyl film.
- Please hand wash only. Not dishwasher safe.
- Handmade with love and care in Long Beach, California.
6. Tiny Box of Date Nights
How cute is this box of date night ideas? It’s super budget-friendly and the tokens are gender-neutral, so it works well for any couple.
The box is made of recycled materials and the tokens are wooden, so they’ll last throughout many years of date nights!
7. Wine Decanter (and a bottle of vino)
For wine-loving couples, grab them a beautiful hand-blown decanter along with a fabulous bottle of wine (which, alas, you can’t buy on Amazon).
If they’re more of a “picnic in the park” rustic couple, I also love this wine lovers picnic bag!
- 🍇 Taste Your Wine's Rich Aromas and Natural Flavors: After being trapped in an air restricting bottle, your wine needs to breathe. Pouring the wine into our wine carafe releases its natural aromas and flavors for better taste
- 🍇 Maximum Aeration for Smooth, Crisp Wine: Our large wine decanter holds a standard 750ml bottle of wine. When poured, the wine reaches the widest diameter of the glass decanter, allowing for maximum aeration
- 🍇 Stop Dreading Tough to Remove Red Wine Stains: Wine stains are a nightmare to clean, but with our crystal wine decanter's easy to pour slanted spout, wine spills and drips are eliminated
- 🍇 Add a Touch of Elegance to Your Wine Gatherings: Our hand blown lead free wine decanter has a modern, elegant design that adds radiance to any room or kitchen. Pairs perfectly with a merlot, cabernet, or pinot noir
- 🍇 Delight Your Fellow Wine Enthusiasts: Wine lovers can never have enough wine accessories and gifts. Beautiful and functional, our red wine decanter is the perfect present idea for holidays, housewarmings, and weddings
8. The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook
Cookbooks are another inexpensive yet fun gift for newly engaged couples, especially if they’re used to just ordering out!
This one is filled with over 600 recipe for two and the hardcover format is just right for gift giving.
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 11/28/2017 (Publication Date) - America's Test Kitchen (Publisher)
9. Mixology Bartender Kit
A perfect gift for cocktail-loving couples, this kit comes with everything except the booze!
It’s a little more expensive than other cocktail sets, but totally worth it since it’s made of heavy-duty rustproof materials.
If you don’t love the silver, it comes in three other styles. I kind of love the black/bamboo combo, too.
- Everything You Need (Except For The Booze): 10-Piece ALL-Inclusive bartender set of top shelf cocktail tools. Will give you the power to whip up impressive cocktails for your guests. Whether you're an amateur bartender or a professional cocktail mixing guru, whether you’re setting up a bar at home or at work, this bar set is a brilliant way to hit the ground running.
- Coolest Way To Store And Display Your Bar Tools: Eco-friendly bamboo stand (Patented), carefully designed to keep your barware tools organized and accessible at all times. No more clutter in your kitchen drawers and cabinets. Show off your gorgeous cocktail kit with the unique bamboo storage rack. You will definitely win your guest’s attention.
- Undeniably Perfect For Cocktail Lovers: First-class bartending set plus a sleek bamboo tool holder, both packed together inside a classy box. Your recipient will be thrilled like a child in a candy store. Plus, to make things truly delicious, it includes an online cocktails catalog.
- Solid And Durable: Heavy-duty and high-grade martini shaker cocktail set. This entire bar accessories kit is made of stainless steel alloy: SS304 & SS430. Worry not, it’s all dishwasher compatible, so forget about wear and tear with these professional bar supplies.
10. Gourmet Gift Basket
You really can’t go wrong with a gourmet gift basket! Everything inside is edible, so there’s nothing to clutter up their homes.
Then, when they’ve made their way through the treats, they have a functional basket (of which I personally can never have too many!)
- A GREAT ASSORTMENT OF GOURMET ITEMS: The Bon Appetit Gift Basket offers a wide variety of snacks and tea to satisfy any taste buds! The Bon Appetit our go-to gift for families, friends and clients
- THE PERFECT GIFT BASKET FOR ANY OCCASION: Perfect as an anniversary basket for couples, a congratulations gift basket, college care package,corporate gift. Ideal and unique gift as a housewarming,retirement gift
- PRIME PRESENTATION: We have taken gift-giving to a complete new level. Each detail in the package is designed to make your gift-giving even more thrilling and extra delicious. Our beautiful presentation will make this gift a memorable one
- OVER 30 YEARS OF SENDING GIFT BASKETS: Making memories by giving a Wine Country Gift Baskets gift is an easy thing. We've been manufacturing and selling value-priced, quality food and wine gift baskets to consumers and businesses for over 30 years
- PERSONALIZED GIFT MESSAGE: Personalized Messages are also available to share your customized sentiments for every situation that can arise. This heart-warming option has been included to allow you to share your custom created message with your gift recipient
Remember, you don’t have to bring a gift, but it’s always nice!
All of the above make fantastic engagement gifts for gay couples and it shouldn’t be hard to find one that fits into your budget
Related: Engagement Rings for Gay Guys
Related: Engagement Rings for Gay Guys.
However, if you’re on a super duper tight budget (which I always am), you could consider a group gift.
Engagement gifts really shouldn’t cost more than the wedding gift (that’s not a rule, just my logic), so it may make more sense to buy one of the pricier gifts above as a group.
Tell me some of your favorite engagement gifts for gay couples! Use the comments below.
Nicole is the editor-in-chief and regular staff writer for LoveYouWedding. What does that mean? Basically, she handles all the day-to-day tasks related to managing writers and bringing you stellar content on planning the LGBTQ+ wedding of your dreams.
She loves writing about quirky and unique wedding ideas, probably because she’s pretty quirky herself!
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API