Are you looking for the best engagement gifts for gay couples to help them celebrate their big news?
Wondering if you even need to buy an engagement gift at all?
I’ve got you covered on both counts!
Today, we’ll talk about basic engagement gift etiquette, then we’ll check out some of my favorite ideas for all budgets!
You may also love: Top 10 Best Bachelorette Party Gifts
Engagement Gift Etiquette: Do You Even Need to Buy One?
Do you need to buy an engagement gift? Well, by the strictest definition of the word “need,” no, of course not.
You need oxygen, water, food, sleep, and shelter. Everything beyond that is a should.
So, should you buy an engagement gift? Yes. No. Maybe. It really depends! On what? Why, I’m so glad you asked!
Basically, if you’re attending a super formal engagement party, then yes, you should bring a gift. It’s not a requirement but it’s still a nice gesture.
If it’s an impromptu party at the couple’s house or favorite bar, then no, you really don’t have to. However, again, it’s nice to at least bring a card.
A gift is always appreciated, though, so you can’t really go wrong with bringing one UNLESS the couple specifically requests no gifts.
In that case, respect their wishes and save the money to put towards a bigger wedding present.
Now that we have our incredibly vague answer to whether or not you need to bring a gift, let’s check out a few of my favorite ideas for all budgets.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
You will love these gay AND Lesbian wedding guest book
10 Best Engagement Gifts for Gay Couples
One quick note: while I’ve shared some of my favorite pride, Mr and Mr, or Mrs & Mrs engagement gifts below, don’t feel like you have to go with those options.
It’s odd (and borderline prejudiced) to assume that every LGBTQ+ couple wants rainbows, after all! That’s why I’m including a good mix of ideas!
The first five are specifically great engagement gifts for LGBTQ couples, while the last five are more general gifts.
Check out the tables for a quick peek, then keep reading for more details about each gift.
1. Gay Wedding Planner Book
Planners make brilliant engagement gifts (just make sure no one else is getting them one), and this one just for gay couples is super detailed!
The planner covers everything from setting budgets to finding the best vendors and more.
You can even personalize the names on the cover or add fun wedding planning stickers.
They also have one for two brides if you’re shopping for lesbian engagement gifts.
- Gender Neutral layout, perfect for all couples! Customized with Name or other Text.
- Every Aspect of Wedding Planning covered! Budgets, Checklists, Attire, Vendors, Guest lists, Registry and More!
- Your Choice of Hard Book cover with coil binding, or Synthetic Covers with coil binding.
- Large 8" x 11" size, portable and sturdy!
- 24 Month calendar section, Dated or Undated. Choose start month of calendar section.
2. Framed Map Art Heart LGBTQ Gift
I’ve recommended this beautiful framed map as a wedding gift, but it also makes a great engagement gift.
If you’re buying it to celebrate their engagement rather than the actual big day, I love the idea of honing in on the place & date they met (rather than where they’re getting married).
Customize the names, date, location, and frame style for the perfect personalized engagement gift.
3. Mrs. & Mrs. Laser Cut Wood Wedding Guestbook
I am so in love with this wooden book! It has to be one of my favorite Mrs. & Mrs. engagement gifts ever.
Wedding guests books are one of those gifts that you really should give before the big day (so they don’t go buy one themselves), which makes them so great for the engagement party.
You can customize the cover to add names for an extra fee (and admittedly, it’s a hefty extra fee but worth it).
4. Wedding Guest Signing Board
While guest books are something that end up tucked away in a treasure trunk somewhere, alternatives like this signing board are made to be displayed.
Of course, you will need to know the date of their wedding before ordering it, so it’s not the best gift for a “hey, we’re engaged, but have no idea when we’re actually getting married” party.
5. Funny His & His Glasses
One of my favorite things about engagement gifts is that you can get a little silly if you want!
These witty “Mr and Mr” glasses are a great example of a funny gift that’s still classy.
It’s up to the happy couple to decide who gets to be “Mr. Always Right!”
6. Tiny Box of Date Nights
How cute is this box of date night ideas? It’s super budget-friendly and the tokens are gender-neutral, so it works well for any couple.
The box is made of recycled materials and the tokens are wooden, so they’ll last throughout many years of date nights!
7. Wine Decanter (and a bottle of vino)
For wine-loving couples, grab them a beautiful hand-blown decanter along with a fabulous bottle of wine (which, alas, you can’t buy on Amazon).
If they’re more of a “picnic in the park” rustic couple, I also love this wine lovers picnic bag!
- 100% LEAD FREE CRYSTAL - Our hand blown lead-free crystal decanters add radiance to any room or kitchen with a modern yet elegant design. Impress your guests, amplify the ambiance and enhance the purity, aroma, and taste of your favorite red or white wine with our wine pourer. Great for a merlot, cabernet, pinot noir, port and other bottles of wine.
- PROVIDE YOUR WINE WITH ITS OWN CHATEAU! Free your wine from the grasp of an air restricting bottle by letting it flow into our elegant crystal wine decanter aerator. Decanting the wine from the bottle to the decanter oxygenates the wine and releases its rich aroma and flavor.
- PERFECTLY ENGINEERED FOR A STANDARD 750ML BOTTLE - Don't be tricked by other manufacturers claiming their decanter has a volumetric capacity of 1700ml or more. The volume is pointless! What really matters is how much breathable surface area 1 bottle of wine is exposed to in the carafe. When an entire bottle of wine is poured into OUR decanter, the wine reaches the widest diameter on the decanter allowing for maximum aeration! This is one of the only wine accessories you can't live without.
- EASY POUR SLANTED SPOUT - Avoid spills & drips with our specially designed large slanted top. If you are a wine drinker, you will appreciate how our 32 oz / 750 ml wine breather enhances the taste.
- MAKES THE PERFECT GIFT - One of the best gifts or presents for any "wino". The perfect gift idea for wine lovers, enthusiasts, women, men, dad, mom, husband, wife, grandparents and more. Surprise your wine connoisseur friends with a unique wine gift for Christmas, wedding, birthday or other holiday. Goes well with related wine gift sets.
8. The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook
Cookbooks are another inexpensive yet fun gift for newly engaged couples, especially if they’re used to just ordering out!
This one is filled with over 600 recipe for two and the hardcover format is just right for gift giving.
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- 448 Pages - 11/28/2017 (Publication Date) - America's Test Kitchen (Publisher)
9. Mixology Bartender Kit
A perfect gift for cocktail-loving couples, this kit comes with everything except the booze!
It’s a little more expensive than other cocktail sets, but totally worth it since it’s made of heavy-duty rustproof materials.
If you don’t love the silver, it comes in three other styles. I kind of love the black/bamboo combo, too.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED (EXCEPT FOR THE BOOZE): 10-Piece ALL-INCLUSIVE bartender set of serious quality cocktail tools. Will give you the power to whip up impressive cocktails for your guests. Whether you're an amateur bartender or a professional cocktail mixing guru, whether you’re setting up a bar at home or at work - Mixology&Craft’s bar set is a brilliant way to hit the ground running.
- COOLEST WAY TO STORE AND DISPLAY YOUR BAR TOOLS: Eco-friendly Bamboo stand (Patent Pending), carefully designed to keep your barware tools scratch-safe, organized and accessible at all times -> No more clutter in your kitchen drawers and cabinets. Show off your gorgeous cocktail kit with the unique bamboo storage rack. You will definitely win your guest’s attention!
- UNDENIABLY THE PERFECT GIFT FOR COCKTAIL LOVERS: First-class bartending set plus a sleek bamboo tool holder, both packed together inside a classy gift box. Your recipient will be thrilled like a child in a candy store! Plus, to make things truly delicious, we’ll throw in an exclusive BONUS! “Mixology&Craft’s recipes experience”- An online cocktails catalog.
- UNBREAKABLE AND RUSTPROOF: Heavy-duty and high-grade, rustproof, martini shaker cocktail set. Unlike similar products who rust easily, this entire bar accessories kit is made of the highest quality stainless steel alloy: SS304 & SS430. Worry not! it’s all dishwasher safe, so forget about wear and tear with these professional bar supplies. Top quality guaranteed.
- YOUR PURCHASE IS 100% RISK-FREE: At Mixology&Craft we put our heart and soul into our bar set cocktail tools. So much that we offer you an EXTENDED 3-YEAR WARRANTY for your Mixology bar kit. Plus, if you are not satisfied for any reason at all, we guarantee a full refund on the spot. Follow your heart, add to your cart!
10. Gourmet Gift Basket
You really can’t go wrong with a gourmet gift basket! Everything inside is edible, so there’s nothing to clutter up their homes.
Then, when they’ve made their way through the treats, they have a functional basket (of which I personally can never have too many!)
- From chocolate coffee to crackers and cookies, any foodie will find it hard to resist a dozen sweet and savory treats
- Make the perfect impression with a gift basket you know your recipient will love
- Makes a beautiful office gift basket, birthday gift basket, or thank you gift basket
- Wine Country Gift Baskets is a high quality brand that your loved one or friends will appreciate; our gift baskets are hand assembled and include some of the top brand named ingredients that we know you'll love
Remember, you don’t have to bring a gift, but it’s always nice!
All of the above make fantastic engagement gifts for gay couples and it shouldn’t be hard to find one that fits into your budget.
However, if you’re on a super duper tight budget (which I always am), you could consider a group gift.
Engagement gifts really shouldn’t cost more than the wedding gift (that’s not a rule, just my logic), so it may make more sense to buy one of the pricier gifts above as a group.
Tell me some of your favorite engagement gifts for gay couples! Use the comments below.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API